Help! Does anyone know how deep a dead deer (buck) has to be buried to keep it from smelling??

And how long it will smell? I know it depends on weather, etc My neighbor whose property it is on wouldn't do anything so I had someone throw lime on it and bury it 3 feet under and it still STINKS. I will be selling my house soon and this is a nightmare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Home & Garden

• The only thing I could find by googling was burying a pet, and they recommended two feet, so you'd think that the 3 feet for the deer would have been enough. Plus the lime. It could be that the ground, I am thinking, was saturated with fluids that are still decaying. Maybe sprinkle some more lime over the area. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Id call your local division of natural or wildlife resources and let them know that there is a dead big game animal in a residential area. The DNR or DWR should come out and remove the animal for proper disposal.
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• yuck, animal control should have been called to pick up the body
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• completely agree animal clean up! You're suppose to call when you hit a deer or see a deer laying on the side of the road anyway. Of course, not many people do, but if I could smell it outside my house, definitely..
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Thank you guys for your suggestions. Since it is way back in the woods and not accessible, the property owner, my neighbor, would have to pay but he refused because it "wasn't bothering him" where it was. Anyhow, in order to be able to use our yard and to avoid problems with the stingy grouch, I now have him ( the deer, not the neighbor) :-) pretty well buried under another few feet of soil..
    Incidentally, I have learned that some local gardeners compost dead animals and will actually come and pick one up if it is still fresh. It is nature's way and they say it's great for the soil.
    Thanks again to those who took the time to respond! It was an ordeal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The smell probably isn't coming from the deer itself now that it's buried but from the remnants in the air. It can last for some time even after a dead animal has been removed. Believe me I know, LOL I live in the country and dead deer (and even bear which OMG talk about stinking..) are quite common near my house
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2009