How can I keep my mind off of going into labor?

I am sooo anxious to have her. I feel like she's ready, but I think the problem is that I can't relax because I'm always thinking about it. Nothing has helped and I don't know how to relax and forget for a while. My intuition tells me that if I can relax about that, MY body will be ready.

Any ideas? Hobbies, reading, internet, watching TV, visiting friends, watching my 4yr old, NOTHING is working!

tcarter1981

Asked by tcarter1981 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I agree, you need some spa pampering. I can't wait, I get a professional prenatal massage for my birthday, I'll be 38 weeks. Seriously, tell your hubby (if you guys cant afford one) that you are sooo freaking stressed out and will give him a bj if he gives you a full body massage. He can't say no to that right? lol. If thats out of the question you could ask a friend or relative (mom/sister) to come over and help. I like buying those cheap facial masks at the grocery store, some of them are anti-stress but I really like the one that warms when you put it on your face, it's a mud mask. Then while I've got one of those on I'll do some yoga. Or maybe a hot bubble bath and some Enya. Good luck!
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 10:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Are you getting close to your due date?
    When did you birth your older child (on-time, spontaneous labor)?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:16 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I'm very close to my due date. at about 38 wks I was dilated 3cm with my oldest and because my epilepsy meds had to be monitored, he induced me a few days later. It went very fast and smoothly. Now I have a new doctor who sucks and he's not doing anything. I had to ask him to even check if I was dilated and he said only a little. With my oldest I only had contractions for about 20 minutes before having her, so if I sit around and wait like they want me to, I could be screwed.

I just want it to be over with. I want a healthy baby, a safe delivery, and I want it now LOL.

I honestly think that if I could relax for a while my body would do what it needs to do. I can't relax and stop thinking and need some help. Sleeping's not working either. I wake up feeling like it's a cramp or contraction, but it's nothing and then I'm up for the rest of the night or way early in the AM.

Any ideas to help me chill out?
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• How about a pedicure? A friend took me for one about a week before DS was born & it was amazing! If you can't afford to go out right now (b/c most of us are strapped at the moment), do you have a close friend who would give you one? Or, how about a potluck dinner with friends? Have everyone bring their fav dish & play old-school card games. I would also suggest taking a few minutes away from the distractions. Have someone watch your older child & either take a bath or shower or just rest in your room. Put on some soft music (try the soundtrack to "Memoirs of a Geisha") & let yourself go. Visualize yourself at peace & calm. Picture your baby in your arms. Do some deep breathing.

Honestly, I don't think your doctor sucks. Early dilation does not predict when you will go into labor & many docs don't think it wise to give too many pelvic exams. Have patience & talk to him on your next visit. Good luck & Congrats!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:02 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Maybe you can busy yourself with planning a baby party for folks to come over several weeks after baby has arrived (whenever that might be). Do you have a birth doula or postpartum doula? Maybe you can plan for meeting & hiring a postpartum doula-- to pass the time and to give you and your family some help. Will you be making birth announcements? How about cooking meals to stock in the freezer? Getting some bills prepaid or onto the Billpay deal online can be nice for later. Are you in any new mom groups? How about joining La Leche League meetings or Stroller Strides or create a birth class play group/reunion? Prenatal yoga/swimming classes? (ahhhh!)
    I can probably come up with more stiff to keep you busy, but I don't know what you're into. ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009