very painful... can anyone help??

like the last 2 days all i have been getting are cramps in my toes and feet. they feel like really bad charlie horses. earlier today i was helping some friends set up for a baby shower and my whole foot cramped up for like 30 minutes. then i was just sleeping and it happened again. and while i was setting up for the baby shower about 10 or 20 minutes after the whole foot cramp finally went away i was walking and felt cramps coming on in both feet. these hurt soo bad. does anyone have any suggestions? please?

also i went shopping earlier today and had eaten a bowl of cereal for breakfast right before we left and was outside the store after we were done shopping and started to feel really hot, lightheaded, and dizzy. so i went back in the store and bought a mountain dew, which i usually stay away from the caffeinated sodas for the baby, drank some, and felt fine. anyone else have this happen? or have any suggestions?

lovinhim1016

Asked by lovinhim1016 at 3:27 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Bananas are supposed to help with cramping like that. It's very common to get cramping. Did the OB give you a book of info about differnt issues in pregnancy? There might be more info in there about it. Usually, when I get a cramp (If I can reach it) I try to massage it out myself. It might take a minute, but seems to work for me. I was just taking a bath and felt them in my feet and it seemed to help to rub in circles for a while. Hope it helps you also.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:55 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It is something that is easily remedied by magnesium supplements. Bananas work but if you want almost immediate relief, go for magnesium. Bananas are also not good for people with gestational diabetes because of the sugar content.

I had bad cramps like you and was very cynical about taking supplements...and now I can tell you from experience how much it has made a difference!

Magnesium and calcium are being sucked out of your body and into your baby right now, so that's why your muscles are cramping. As an added bonus, magnesium supplements are excellent for blood flow so your baby benefits too! Good luck.
    rcruz

Answer by rcruz at 5:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I have found that when I get cramps like that in my legs.. which i have gotten alot this pregnancy, it really helps to get up and walk around while its cramping.. helps to work it out.

As for the soda thing, it could be that your blood sugar dropped low or something, which can cause the lightheadedness, and thus why the sugary soda helped :) Might want to bring that up at your next appt, or at least I would. Make sure its not something else.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:34 AM on Aug. 15, 2009