38wks cramping advice

I've been praying hard for the contractions to come, but now I'm not sure what this is. Last night I tried to relax and take a bath. Went to bed about 4am. Woke at 5:15am with period type cramping, but it was about medium pain. Not unbearable. Lay there a few minutes, didn't go away. Got up, went to the bathroom, walked around, still steady. I feel this type of cramping towards my back too. With my first the pain didn't hit me until about 20 - 15 min. before. I'/m trying to monitor, but it's just steady. Baby's still sleeping in there and not moving around, but my stomache feels hard. More than what it does when it's just her I'm feeling. The past 20 minutes, the mild cramping has come and gone more. I'm trying to hold out because I don't want to go in and be sent home because I'm not far enough or something. Tried pooping and gas relief and nothing.

What do you think? How long should I wait to go in?

tcarter1981

Asked by tcarter1981 at 6:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Take the advice of NDFanatic! She is right! But you may want to give your doctor the heads up! When I had my second I was due to be induced and the night before I started cramping! At first I thought it was because I carried my three year old up the 3 flights of stairs to our apt! But it got a little stronger so I called the doctor. He told me to go ahead to the hospital. It was a slow night and they would go ahead and induce me! That was at midnight! My mom took my son to my dad and we went to the hospital! It was about one thirty and when they checked my dilation I was at nine cm!!! I hadn't had not even one strong contraction! I had my daughter twenty minutes later! And it was never worse than menstral cramps!
    EmmasMama723

Answer by EmmasMama723 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• How bad does the pain have to be?

I know to look for steady and getting worse, but with a history of not feeling it until the very end, when should I say enough is enough? I'm going to try to relax for a while and get in different positions. Will check back shortly for answers.

Thanks
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 6:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• With you only being 38weeks along they might just be BH contractions. I would wait until they are stronger and about 4 minutes apart. If the pain is steady and not that bad then you might just be having BH. I wish there was more advice I could give. I would just try to hang out awhile longer and if it is still the same for another hour or so try calling your advice nurse and see what they recommend. GL hun.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 7:18 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• how long has your baby been not moving? if there is a drastic change to movements that last a day call your doc! as far as the cramping going into your back it IS likely they are real contractions...they just might not be strong enough to start labor.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:29 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You could be in early labor. I went through 17 hours of mild consistent contractions. It was only when I got into active labor that I gave in and admitted I was in labor though, lol.

Lie down, rest, drink some water. Relax... If this is labor you'll need lots of energy :)

And just bc you have a history of not feeling it til the end does not mean that's how it will be this time. Each pregnancy and labor are totally different. i could have said that I had a history of premature rupture of membranes bc my water broke without contractions with my 1st child... My 2nd however didn't break til after 25 hours of labor. Some women have 40hr labors only to have 3hr labors next time or vice versa. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

*I* Would wait til they are consistently 3-4mins apart (I waited til 2 lol) and 30s-1min long long. Here is a great calculator to keep track of this: http://www.contractionmaster.com/

GL ;)
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 8:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I had all 3 of my babies at 38wks. anywhere from 38wks on is considered full-term. I knew i was in labor when my contractions were so many min. apart consistantly and the pain did not go away when i laid down,esp. if i laid on my left side. I also had diarrhea all day with my 2nd preg. on the day i was in labor. My contractions were 12min apart with my 2nd baby and never got any closer until i was all the way dialated. I was also afraid i would be sent home since i heard wait until they are 5min. apart, but i knew i was in real labor by the concistancy of the contractions. I was 51/2cm when i arrived @ the hospital so if i would have waited until they were 3 to 5min. aparat i would not have made it. Every labor is different so if you feel you are in labor i would call your OB. I
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Thanks guys. No baby yet, but they're about every hour. The baby is moving, but there is definately a difference between just pains from the baby and what I'm feeling now. Still not too painful. I hope I don't have these hourly ones for much longer LOL for all we know it could be another week LOL. I'm just trying to relax and keep my mind off things for now. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's contractions weren't very painful. Everybody elses seems to insist they should feel intolerable to go in and that's what was scaring me the most. I'm going to try not to look at the clock for a while and see how it goes.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009