As a parent why would you want for Public Coed Schools to become Single-Sex Public Schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Less distractions as the kids get older. The whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing wouldn't be their main focus.
    A couple of my friends all went to an all girl/boy catholic school(2 sisters and a brother) all 3 liked it and one of them went to a co-ed public school the last 2 years of her school and she said she preferred the all girl school over the co-ed school.

As for people crying the whole "socializing" thing that's what kids can do outside of school. As I was always told school is to learn not socialize. Same with the whole teaching them right from wrong, that comes from home anyway so as long as you still teach your kids that out in the real world outside of school you won't have any problems. I personally don't understand why so many people have such a problem with it, I would love if they had single sex public school, all the single sex schools around here are private catholic schools. But hey to each their own.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't want that
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• ew i wouldn't
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• One of the schools in my area has single sex classes and co ed classes. Some kids thrive in single sex classes, others don't. I don't think whole schools of only one gender would be best for most kids.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't want them all to be single sex (until maybe high school) but having single sex class options would be fantastic. Small children do well in mixed classes but some and many older children do much better in single sex environments.
    I went to an all girl high school and loved it. I'm not sure I would ever want to go to a co-ed one. They (my school) did a study on single sex high schools and found most teens, male and female, do better in single sex classes. My brother also went to an all boys school and thrived in high school.
    But as small children they still need to mingle between the sexes to learn social behaviors. It would be awesome if schools could offer math for just girls or creative writing for just boys...classes that tend to be harder when they are mixed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:10 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Nope. Where are they going to learn how to socialize with the opposite sex if they're never around them? It has been said that we learn most of the social skills we have in high school. That those behaviors stay with us for the most part. That's also why it's imparative to correct any "bad" behaviors in this age range. It's hard to teach girls or boys what is wrong and right to do with the opposite sex if they're never around them.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• God no...if I was in a single sex school I would have been miserable. Over half of my friends were guys, I just got along with them better. Dominic gets along better with girls right now and if he were in a school with all boys I could see him being unhappy.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Because it would decrease teen pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• IMO
    Girls- get a good rep in Elem school for learning, playing well, sitting still, etc. The teachers for the girls enjoy teaching more females in history and promoting womanhood. All good and fine
    BUT
    Boys- get a bad rep for being to hyper, aggressive, learning slower, ect. The teacher "stuck" with the boy class is un happy to do it and it shows. Not to mention that is all they are around all day is other rough and tough boys, so the few calm boys learn a few bad things too.

My school area has tried it with a few class in a few grades at a few diffrent schools. And you should read the news paper artilce. Girls teacher decorated the room in pink princess and LOVED her class. The boys teachers talked about all the disruptive behavior. It was sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Actually, if you look at the studies done, students in single-sex classes and/or schools actually do better academically. Many girls are intimidated by boys in their science and math classes and boys don't get as much teacher attention as the girls in reading classes. I don't know if the entire school should be single-sex but having the classes segregated would not be a bad idea.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:35 AM on Aug. 15, 2009