How can I get my 2 month old to accept the bottle?

I will be starting work in three weeks, and have been trying to introduce the bottle to my exclusively breast fed 2 month old daughter. My husband and mother are the ones to try to bottle feed pumped breast milk and/or formula for the last two weeks. She cries and pushes the bottle nipple out with her tongue. She refuses to swallow the milk/formula. Is there any way to gently convince her to take the bottle? Most people I've talked with tell me that if she's hungry enough, she'll suck on the bottle. But I've also had a friend tell me that her son just waited 8 hours until she came home and stayed hungry. Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed! Thanks!

AJsNewMommy09

Asked by AJsNewMommy09 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My grandaughter is only breastfeed. My daught never tryed to use a bottle. I went to visit. I got my grandaughter to take a bottle. Once she new ther was food in the bottle she drank out of it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My DS refused the bottle for 9 and a half hours while I tried to work, I gave in and quit becuase I could not deal with the thought of him suffering. Good luck~
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes if baby is hungry baby will eat, and yeah she could just wait for you and that would be ok for her too if she nurses enough while you are home
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    its called reverse cycling and perfectly fine for a BF baby to do. BUT most babies will eventually give into a bit of milk each day, my son took 4 oz in the 8 hours, thats with nursing before leaving...so that took care of 2-3 hours, and nursing when home so that took care of 2-3 hours on the end of my working day...so he only NEEDED 4 oz a day. Leave baby and bottle...totally leave and baby will either take a bit from the bottle or wait for you...either way no big deal. If yuo tried the formula int he bottle its no wonder she refuses the bottle now, ever tasted it??
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Have you tried a -different- bottle?? What are you using?

They make bottles with wide-necks and large nipples to seem more like the breast..

Try warming up the nipple alittle bit and different temperatures of the BM you're putting in her bottle.

Don't give her too much formula probably will end up with an exclusively FF baby. One bottle of it per day if she takes them.

It's not healthy for a 2 month old to go 8 hours without eating during the day unless they happen to eat every 2 hours all night.. Don't expect your baby to sleep through the night if they don't eat all day or she will get very sick.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Also, what position are they holding her in? Try a VASTLY different position from the one you breastfeed in..

And, try feeding her one bottle while she's really sleepy in the middle of the night and pump instead if she takes it. It'll be tiring and annoying but it'll show you if the bottle is the issue and you can get a diff bottle. Sleepy babies will usually take whatever into their mouths.. if it gives them food they'll eat it.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:29 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• we had to try diff nipples a lot, and i couldn't be in the room or even the house at first- baby smells your body and wants the milk from you, not the bottle. warming the milk to body temp can help too. ours eventually took a bottle, but it was rough for a little while. only my dad could get her to take a bottle at first. my best advice- just keep trying, and good luck!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Thanks to everyone who have given me comments. It's very helpful to hear about other experiences. We've tried several different bottles and nipples. Now we're using the Dr. Brown's wide neck nipples. My mother has some funny tricks she uses to calm the baby enough to drip milk into her mouth which the baby sometimes swallows and sometimes just lets dribble out the side. It's a half an hour process for about half an ounce. However, I have been in the house when she's being bottle fed (usually hiding upstairs!). And of course, after about half an hour, I usually give in and breast feed. We'll keep trying!
    AJsNewMommy09

Answer by AJsNewMommy09 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I have been there. My daughter would not take a bottle for anything. I ended up not going back to work because she would just cry and cry and cry until I fed her, I couldn't take it. I tried every bottle ever made. including the one that is shaped like a boob. If no one else's suggestions work, there are special cups (not sippy cups) and spoons that you can use to feed infants (I don't know if your care giver will want to spoon feed you daughter). Good Luck. I know how hard it can be.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009