Is it normal my baby (almost 9 months) doesn't show excitment to see us?

When I pick up from the nursery at church, he totally ignores me. When my husband is gone for a few days and comes back, he ignores him too. He will look at us if we make a silly face or if he wants to be picked up and he is fussy but other than that, he is more interested by everything else...

Tig023

Asked by Tig023 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My dd is 4 and has pdd-nos...she did this a lot when she was younger too...pdd-nos is a mild form of autism.....

I am NOT NOT NOT saying your son has this...he is WAYYYY to young to tell that...but I had to mention is just so you know that this can be a sign...

Does he make eye contact with you or look at you for assurance or approval.

Read up about it, so that you can be informed...

He is still very young and could be totally into playing or having fun....he may just be super independent.....

Dont worry too much yet...just pay attention to him and mention it to your pediatrician in a few months if it still bothers you.

I am posting anon b/c I dont want anyone bashing me for telling you this...but if you want to message me....post it here and I will message you ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• if it would put your mind at ease you could take him to get checked out for early signs of autism. but i'm fairly certain there's nothing wrong with your son...just curious about the world. it may just be a phase.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My son does make eye contacts when I talk to him, he does not look at my mouth. He will turn his head if I call him (not all the time, I am not sure he knows his name) but then quickly look away and go back to his playing/exploring. He is not interested in his toys, he just wants to climb over things, his favorite thing is to climb the stairs (which he is not allowed to). When he is bored, he squeals and goes towards me and tries to climb on me but when I pick him up, he wants to be out of my arms and climb on something else. If you think this may be a sign of mild autism, I would like you to message me, I want to know more about it.
    Tig023

Answer by Tig023 at 11:07 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I am going to message you.
    widespreadpanic

Answer by widespreadpanic at 1:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I don't think it's autism I read the "red flags" for autism and he doesn't have them, I am just confused because he doesn't seem to see a difference between his parents and strangers and he does not show excitement to see us
    Tig023

Answer by Tig023 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009