Will Electric Cars Wreck the Grid?

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- Plug-in electric cars could destabilize the distribution of power?
Adding a plug-in car to the grid is equal to about a third of a house, Ed Kjaer [director of Southern California Edison's electric transportation advancement program] said. And because early adopters are likely to spring up in geographic concentrations, that could mean overloaded transformers at the distribution level or plug-in cars potentially causing power outages.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=will-electric-cars-wreck-the-grid
~~~~
Does anyone else see MORE stimulus money being needed in the future?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So, are you suggesting that people shouldn't buy cars that use fewer resources and don't increase smog because we'll need some infrastructure improvements in order to reduce the strain elsewhere in our infrastructure?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:09 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Swasson, I asked, "Does anyone else see MORE stimulus money being needed in the future? "
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• it's neverending. The government will always need more money. The people will have to pay taxes. Wish I didn't like working my way up the corporate ladder of my career so much. otherwise I would become an EIC leech and not care what government does.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Oh now, there you go again - adding two and two and noticing that it's gonna equal four.

Making these sorts of connections is a thinking skill too advanced for politicians.

They're pushing for more & more cars that don't use gas. The Energy (Cap & Trade) bill aims to make gas a lot more expensive and to collect fees from companies which produce or refine petroleum .... The bill also aims to get people to use less electricity by making electricity cost a LOT more, and collecting fees from companies which produce electricity.

So Americans get caught in between - we've got these non-gasoline cars AND electricity rates which will be sky-high. Nice job global warmers. ... Oh, I forgot: prosperity is a dirty word to them.

That is just one tiny blip in the Energy bill. It's 1200 pages, compared to the 1018 pages of the health care bill.

AND IT HAS ALREADY PASSED THE HOUSE! The Senate is scheduled to vote mid-September ! Aaack!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Swasson, In most of America, the electricity is generated by coal-powered plants, so using electricity to power a car is still polluting, not clean. 

Since people are successfully protesting the building of new power plants, many areas, such as CA, are already facing shortages.

People are also successfully protesting the building of wind farms.

So my answer is yes, we could potentially end up bailing out the power companies.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:06 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think this is a valid question...and I already pay yo much money to the electric company!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:17 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The radicals are going to turn us to a thrid world country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• grlygrlz2, You don't get to claim that the first 97% of your post is unrelated to the last 3%. Otherwise, you could've left it out.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:26 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• A "Civic" sized fully electric car cost $40K and cost about 8.5 cents mpg to operate. A gas 2 door Civic cost $16K and cost around 8.8 cents mpg to operate ($3/gal @ 34 mpg). There is a $24K difference up front but only 5 tenths of a cent difference to operate. You will have to drive that car about 100 years to make up the disparity in cost by saving the difference between buying electricity vs gas - 5 tenths of a cent/mile at a time. Both electricity and gas cost money to make. The "savings" is a smoke screen. I think the better sell of the technology is getting us away from foreign oil and that dependence. Neither technology "saves" anything. I foresee some tree-hugger complaining in the future that the hydro-electric dams we need to run our electric cars is hurting some fish, snail, worm, bird,....... We are in a no win place.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Good answer, Jesse.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009