In some sites this information has been deleted. Do illegal immigrants have "rights"?

Emmy-award winning Made in L.A. reveals the impact of the struggle on each woman's life as they are gradually transformed by the experience. Compelling, humorous, deeply human, Made in L.A. is a story about immigration, the power of unity and the courage it takes to find your voice.

Made in L.A. is an intimate portrait of an all-American experience: the struggle of recent immigrants to get a foothold, to assert their voices, to say, 'I exist. And I have rights.'”

— Almudena Carracedo, Filmmaker

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Illegal immigrants and every other person on this planet has HUMAN RIGHTS.
    People have CIVIL RIGHTS only from the country of which they are citizens.
    Simply moving to another country does not make you a citizen of that country.
    A citizen of England does not have American civil rights unless they are legally becoming an American citizen, they have British civil rights. An American does not have British civil rights in England unless they are in the legal process of becoming a British subject, they have American civil rights. There are embassies from most countries in just about every large city to help their citizens while travelling.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:02 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think if they are here illigally then no they dont, but if they go through all the paper work and the process then yes they do.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:34 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You are advertising a documentary? Seriously? lol.. Oooooooooooo-K.

Humans have the right to come to this nation legally and follow the process to become legal citizens.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• yeah...um...Anon, honey, Hollywood continues to try and push its agenda and it's just not selling. How many movie came out about the mean evil war in Iraq that tried to make our soldiers or our mission look bad?? LOTS...and most, if not all, bombed at the Box Office. Hollywood Elite need to take some vacations and visit real world America. Come in LEGALLY and you are welcome to all the rights of ALL who have come legally. Come ILLEGALLY and you are NOT. You are are also a slap in the face to all of those who did it the right way, waited their turn, took their tests, and have pride in what they got!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Hmm. I agree with the above answerers that illegal immigrants don't HAVE citizen's rights.

Every human being does have "inalienable rights" / human rights. These basic rights are violated by many gov'ts and societies and religions and countries in the world today. Here in America, our country is founded on this truth, and we honor human rights.

Since it is an L.A. film, it's safe to assume that the immigrants in question are from Mexico or other South American countries. So most of them have grown up in places where corruption, lawlessness or despotism have oppressed them and robbed them of their rights.

It must be quite a new experience to come to America and discover that it is even POSSIBLE to say,"I exist. And I have rights." ... to get a foothold and have the possibility of keeping it, no tyrant takes it away ... I can only try to imagine how dramatic the possibility of safety & stability is for them.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 9:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I believe that every human being has fundamental rights. They may not be entitled to certain rights of citizenship, but I do not believe that they should be treated as if they aren't even human, as some would advocate.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• All are welcome here in America as long as they come here legally and fill out the proper paper work to become a citizen. Then they can have the same rights as the rest of us legal Americans do!

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I concur with Busimommi that every person legal or not deserves to be treated with humane respect.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• do not believe that they should be treated as if they aren't even human, as some would advocate.

Aren't they advocating this for themselves when they lower themselves to inhumane ways by shoving themselves in a semitruck and illegally coming to this country?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 15, 2009