At what age does my baby start sitting up by himself?

MzStarr

Asked by MzStarr at 9:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6-9 months
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• aww man i was hoping it would be alil sooner then that...lol. my arm is killing me, i am just ready for him to hold his own bottle. BUT yes around 6-9 months unfortunatly.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:52 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• buy a boppy if you don't already have one, they're very helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• AT about 6-9 mos. It does get better. Keep working with baby and eventually get to a tripod position. Then they will start to fall. I wish you luck b/c these milestones are so much fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:46 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Umm.. 6-9 months.. and why on earth does your arm hurt from feeding bottles? What position do you have him/her in? What position are -you- in?

You'll regret the days when you wished they would hold their own bottle.. and miss when you held the bottle for your baby and could bond like that... them holding your hand with their little fingers and staring into your eyes..
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:15 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• a bumbo chair can be helpful as it strengthens babys trunk muscles, but you still ahve to help of course. What about feeding baby in a bouncer, or reclining highchair? I agree with pp tho...my arms hurt, my back aches too...but I KNOW soon he will want to do it all by himself and my arms will feel pretty empty and the ache will be in my heart.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Thank you ladies....it has been 4 years since I did this....I totally forgot. He has a boppy pillow....but he spends a lot of time in his swing and bouncer. Should I start putting him on the floor or on the bed to make him more active?
    MzStarr

Answer by MzStarr at 1:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• He shouldn't be spending more than 10-15 minutes awake time in his swing or 10-15 minutes awake time in his bouncer at any given time -- and they recommend you only put them in them about an hour total.. If he falls asleep yeah he can stay in them longer.

He should have been going on his back and belly for play time in various ways since he was interested in playing.. Get down on the floor with him and let him touch your face/hair and make faces and talk, blow on his belly or back, get toys and encourage him to try to grab them or chew/suck them.. If he's 5 months old hold him by his chest and let him put alittle weight on his legs.. carry him around upright a lot -- that will encourage his ability to sit and cut off the time by almost a month. Babies held constantly tend to sit unassisted at 6 mo's, babies sitting a ton in contraptions sometimes don't til 9 months.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 4:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009