anyone done a low carb diet?

my sister was on one and droped like 50 pounds plus exersise. im 75 pounds over weight i exersise every day watch what i eat, no pop and not loosing much. so i want to go on low carb but was wondering how long it would take to drop it.

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Low carb is not easy for the first week or two because your body CRAVES more carbs than it needs. You could actually feel withdrawal symptoms like headaches, sweats, the shakes....but once you're through that you'll feel a LOT better! It may take 3 to 7 days before you'll notice weight loss but once it starts it just falls off. Keep plenty of fresh or steamed veggies in your diet! They'll provide the nutrition your body needs. Stick with lean proteins like pork loin, chicken breast or lean beef, low fat cheeses. Cook with cooking oil SPRAYS instead of oil. Drink 80 to 100 oz. of water a day along with decaf tea and black coffee if you like.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• How long did your sister keep off the weight once she went off the diet? Did she learn portion control or any healthy eating habits?
    Diets are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. You will lose weight. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like meal suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I lost more weight when I cut out sweets (refined sugar and HFCS) that when I did a low carb diet. I lost 12 lbs in the first 6 weeks. Not to mention I had much more energy and felt so much better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009