Is it normal for baby to fuss and cry everytime I put him down for sleep?

(he's 4 months old)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes!!! It is very normal. A baby has to learn to put themselves to sleep. But if the fussing turns to screaming or crying then you need to console him and put him back to bed. We were doing this at 12 weeks with our LO and finally CIO'd when she was 5 mos. It worked well for us but it may not for others. Good luck. When they learn to put themselves to sleep they still fuss at bedtime and nap time but for much shorter periods of time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:27 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Babies fuss because they don't want to be away from mom. As they get older, they get more independent. My daughter slept with me until she was ready for her own bed, around two or so. My little guy (16 months) is still in bed with me. It's just easier. I tried laying my older two down in the crib and it was no fun. I didn't get much sleep in those days. ;)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:34 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I mean, he's still very fussy while I'm rocking him to sleep or singing or whatever. he fusses just as much as if I were just to lay him down without soothing him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• What he is doing is fighting sleep and that is completely normal with babies. Some just fight it more than others do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:40 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Good point original poster... My little one was like that, drove me nuts.. I guess I just layed down with him and tried to nurse to sleep. Car seat rocking, side to side rather than how it was made to rock, kinda helped him. I'd wear him in a sling a lot but he mostly seemed confused as to what he wanted. I hope he gets easier for you. Sorry I wasn't too much help.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 11:33 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my daughter is 3 and still fights sleep horribly. i went upstairs a few weeks ago to check on her, she had passed out on top of about 15 matchbox cars, with her toddler size rocking chair almost on top of her, and she was the same way as a baby, once shes out, shes out for awhile but getting there is a battle. when she was a baby i would just keep rocking or walking her til she fell asleep. or i used the swing or bouncy seat and just left her in it for the night (just carry a bouncy seat to babies room or your room, the swing meant someone slept on the couch unless we took it up before she fell asleep). at 6 months i did CIO and it worked well for her. now i put her in her room, put up the gate and tuck her in, she usually ends up getting out of bed to play in her room and as long as she is quiet and it isn't past 10 i will let her be.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:39 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my son is 4 months and doing the same thing. He is so tired but fights it. Wants to go to sleep but fights it lol. lil booger.Here is what i do. I try diff positions while rocking him then if that doesnt work sometimes I just lay him down and if he starts to get upset(like serious crying /screaming) then stand next to him and pat his tummy or back saying sh sh sh sh quietly. Another tip is put him in the crib drowsy, not fulkly asleep, this will teach him to self sooth and traut me once he learns how to do that life gets so much easier. good luck and no worries mama, he is normal.hang in there.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:57 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• totally normal- our eight month old still does that. nap time or bed time, she cries herself out. for about two weeks we were sleep deprived b/c she would cry and fuss and scream for literally hours b/c she didn't want sleep. we would hold her and rock her and feed her until one in the morning. then we just started putting her down and letting her cry. that was two weeks ago. now she goes to sleep within 15-20 minutes of fussing, which is nothing compared to the two hours it was when we started sleep training her. the best thing to do after putting him down is to set a time to check on him- every 15 minutes worked for us. go in, soothe him, and put him back in bed once he calms down. he will probably start crying right away, but you have to give him 15 minutes each time, so he knows he needs to be the one to put himself to sleep. it usually takes about two weeks for this to kick in and work. good luck!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009