is my 14 month old normal

hes a pig. he never gets full he eats as much as an adult. then sucks down a drink in seconds. hes 26 pounds and wearing 3 t shirts and 2 t pants. hes in a size 7 shoe. i changed his diet he eats healthy like milk or crystal light and no sweets reduced fat foods and sugar free foods. hes still getting bigger. and when should he walk he stands but wont move. and he still dont talk he says a few worlds

faith86

Asked by faith86 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would take him in to the doctor. He should not be eating so much at all. One piece of fruit or one bowl of cereal should fill him up. Tell the doctor you are concerned by his eating habits, they should be able to help you.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:17 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• What does the dr say. And remember if you dont give it to him he cant eat it.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:22 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My 14 mo old doesn't seem to get full either. She eats more than I do in a day and even in a sitting. But my LO is smaller than yours. We wear 6-9 mo clothes and less than a size 2 shoe. I don't think that anything is wrong with him. He is a big boy. Just keep doing what you are doing but I would add some of the fat back to his diet. You might not need it but he does to keep growing his brain at a healthy rate. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It depends on your definition of "normal". My son ate like that (he out ate me!) around that age because he was going through a growth spurt (he was also wearing 2-3Ts). It should only be a problem if he is growing out instead of up. KWIM?
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:23 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• What does your doctor say? Is he overweight or right on target with height and weight? My firstborn was HUGE. He was off the charts in height. He still eats as much as an adult. At 1 year he was in 2T's and at 3 years is wearing 5T's. He was also very slow to talk. He really started talking at 2 1/2 years old. Now he is a little chatterbox, but difficult to understand. I think everything was going into him growing! He was walking at 12 months. Normal is just about anything! LOL! If the doctor isn't concerned with his weight and height, I don't think you need to be.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:25 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• kustomkrochet - your reply made me laugh! LOL! You should meet my boys. My MIL tells me they are just like my hubby. My 2 year old ate 3 bowls of cereal and a banana for breakfast, my 3 year old at 4 bows. They eat very healthy - lots of fruits and veggies, rarely a dessert, and are skinny! My 3 year old regularly eats 2 or 3 sandwhiches for lunch, along with everything else. My 2 year old will eat a whole sandwhich and sometimes 2. They have been eating like that since they started solids. I NEVER thought a kid could eat so much food. My mom says we will have to get a second mortgage when they are teens!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:28 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• he sounds like a big boy!... i think by that age he should be walking, but both my boys walked at 9 months, the normal range is between 9-18 months though so hes still in there...

my 13 month old eats a TON! and whoever said they cant eat it if you dotn give it to them.. thats terrible! im not going to make him go hungry just because he has already ate 1 piece of fruit for breakfast or what not!

a typical day for my 13 month old is.... 1-2 medium fruits and either 1/2 bagel or a waffel or muffin for breakfast, some dry cereal or fruit for a snack, about 1 1/2 cups veggies or pasta or a sandwich for lunch, cheese or yogurt or crackers for a snack, and veggies or pasta or dinner foods< about 1-2 cups > for dinner

mind you about 1/4th of this ends up on the floor... when i asked his dr about it he said hes fine he ahs an appiteite, my 3 year oldwas like that too, they do slow down eventually! just make healthy choices
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:13 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Dang, I'm lucky if my 18 month old will eat a piece of toast or an egg for breakfast... she eats very little at meals, I wish she would eat more! :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:49 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i dont know,my 14month old girl is around 26 - 27 pounds as well and wears size 6 shoe,and is in 2t 3 t cloths too,but she is running around and climbing on everything,she doesnt eat everything on her plate though.she is breastfed if that makes a differenc. i wouldnt worry about his weight or diet.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Get rid of crystal light. Stick to just 2% milk (or lower fat) and water.

Other than that, as long as he's eating a healthy diet and he's not throwing up...just start watching his portion sizes. There are times when I do have to cut my kids off. (Laughing hysterically about one piece of fruit or bowl of cereal filling up a 14 month old boy)

Typical breakfast: bowl of cereal, piece of toast, piece of fruit and milk
    Typical lunch: Peanut butter (reduced sugar) and grape jelly sandwich (2 pieces of bread), 5 whole wheat crackers, piece of cheese, piece of fruit and milk
    Typical snack: cup of juice/water mixed, bowl of fat free popcorn
    Last nights supper: about a cup of spaghetti and sauce, 3 meatballs, piece of garlic toast, serving spoon of green beans, milk and pudding cup for dessert

My youngest is 2 now, wears a 4T shirt, 3T pants, size 8 1/2 shoe, weighs 32lbs, is 36" tall.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009