My son is almost 3 and is bitting his arms. He even has bruises on them from bitting. At first we let it go because he only did it when he was frusterated with others and it was better then him bitting other kids, but now it is all the time. PLEASE HELP!!!

Asked by Allison7777 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ask your family doctor, maybe he/she has answers for you. I am sorry I don't. Hope all works out for you.

Answer by christene at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My nephew used to bang his head on the floor when he got frustrated, he had a bruise on his forehead for months... help him find something to take his mind off it, when he does it discourage it and change his focus.. it seems outrageous but he should grow out of it, if not talk to your dr.

Answer by nunyabiznz at 10:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• This is a really bad habit to start and at such a young, tender age. This could lead to "self-abuse" in the take it very seriously. He needs another outlet for his feelings and frustrations. Talk to his doctor about this behavior, in the mean time spend some time talking to him when he does this listen to him and ask about his feelings. We all need to vent, even 3 year olds!!! LOL

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• HI, We deal with the same thing with my son. His OT tells us that it is a sensory issue. As weird as this sounds, when he starts biting himself, we direct his attention to biting a vibrating teether. He usually stops biting himself and strats biting on that until he gets satisifed. Hope this helps!!

Answer by redtang912 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008