Why are people protesting the building and installation of energy producing windmills?

We have lots of them here perched on the barren hills of the Columbia River Basin. They are kind of pretty, too. And since they make electricity out of wind, they are non-polluting. What's the problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The libs are the ones protesting them. Look at all of them in Southern Cal. they leave them off because birds may fly into them. They wanted to build some off the east coast but the Kennedy's didn't want them even tho Bobby the whiner jr is one lof them eading the pack on this nonsense,
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:36 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Some people think they are ugly and they do make quite a loud noise. I like them, I think they are a bit amazing.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:12 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• they kill birds
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:14 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I can't imagine that the number of birds flying into the wind generators would be as many as have been 'fried' by electric wires or that fly into my windows. I think the windmills are facinating in E Washington. I have close up pics of them, and they are so huge and move so slowly that I'm not sure how they would kill a bird...I for one, think they are a great idea, and whoever is against them must be unAmerican...haha...that's just the name that's being used for anyone that opposes anything these days. I didn't notice alot of noise, and there are 100's of them.....
    islandwalker

Answer by islandwalker at 11:56 AM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Lol, island walker. I live in nothern CA, just pass where I live there is something called the altamont pass. It has thousand of them so maybe that why they were noisier also this pass is very windy and they move really fast, they almost look like they are going to take off. I like them actually, I drive through the pass and am amazed every time by the site of them! WOOT WOOT FOR TURBINES.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Island Walker, when the wind blows fast, they move FAST! There are times the blades are moving so fast they are invisible, but I don't think little birds are doing much flying in that kind of wind, and the big birds are higher.
    We live in a very energy-rich part of the country, we have hydro-electric dams, we have the Hanford Nuclear installation, and we have windmills. BUT cap and trade is going to impact us like it does everybody else, in spite of the fact that we produce all the CLEAN energy we can use and send it to other places.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Environmentalists say they kill birds, destroy open spaces, and scare wildlife. People complain they are ugly, or noisy, or destroy views.

Too much of the "not in my backyard" attitude in the US.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Enviromentalists would just as soon we all lived in caves, Obviously they want to have their cake and eat it too. We have them in TX and they aren't so bad. NOt as ugly as all those poles and wires everywhere.
    Maybe you should ask Ted Kennedy
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think windmills are wonderful.They are common in North Dakota. We saw them everywhere on our way to visit family in Devils Lake. I don't know why anyone would object ...unless they worked for a utilty company/ electric company that didn't want competition.LOL.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• They scream that we must get off the oil dependence.So others say well lets drill for our own.They scream noooooo :cries:.Ok lets deal in nuclear and again they scream noooooo :cries:.Alright then windmills and STILL they scream nooooo :cries:.A no win sitution nothing will ever be good enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009