Menu for the week?

I have about $50 for me, DH, and our toddler son for 1 week. Usually we eat crap and I am trying to get away from that. My husband just found out he is borderline diabetic, we are both overweight, and my son has been having tummy problems. I need breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack ideas. I really don't know how to cook so I need easy ideas. Please help me!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• $50 for three people to eat healthy is pretty much impossible.

$50 for three people to eat for one week.period.is pretty much impossible.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 12:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It's VERY possible! I feed 7 people on $200 a month.
    Breakfast: Pancakes or oatmeal or a box of cornflakes Need to buy 1 box pancake mix & 1 bottle pancake syrup OR one container oatmeal OR one box cornflakes & milk
    Lunches: leftovers from dinner the night before or sandwiches (tuna, PB & J), Ramen noodles or soup Need to buy 2 loaves bread, tuna, peanut butter & jelly, Ramen noodles or canned soup
    Dinner:
    Tuna macaroni salad made with 1 box elbow mac, 1 can tuna, 1/2 bag frozen peas, miracle whip style salad dressing or ranch salad dressing
    Big can of baked beans with hot dogs cut up into it, cornbread from a Jiffy mix, carrot sticks
    Chicken & rice casserole: 1 can chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 bag frozen peas or frozen broccoli, salt & pepper, 1/2 cup instant rice
    Chicken & stuffing casserole: 1 can chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 bag frozen peas or mixed veggies, 1 box chicken stuffing
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Ramen casserole: 2 pkg. beef flavored Ramen noodles, 1 seasoning pkt from the noodles, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, bit of chopped onion, 1/2 lb. browned ground beef or turkey, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 c. milk
    Chicken & gravy over rice: 1 can chicken, 2 pkg. chicken gravy mix, instant rice
    Hot dogs & noodles skillet meal: 1 pkg hot dogs, 1 pkg wide egg noodles, 1 can tomato soup, small bit of diced onion

Snacks: buy a bag of popcorn or make rice pudding with the instant rice.

I KNOW that if I buy the majority of these ingredients (everything possible) at my local Dollar General (store brand), buy milk from the local convenience store or on sale (under $2.50 here), add a dozen eggs($1.25 at Dollar General), a couple of loaves of bread from the day old store, I can do all that with about $40. I'd take the remaining $10 and buy a couple of heads of lettuce and a couple of tomatoes, maybe some celery for salads at night.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I have recipes for some of the meals mentioned on my blog Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes.  Most of them should be fairly easy to understand and cook.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Beans
    brown rice
    lentils
    veggies

send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes. We eat very healthy and average $60 a week for a family of 3

Answer by rkoloms at 1:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• do you have any food in your house right now? try to make meals using every last thing you've got. i had to do this 2 weeks ago (same situation as you) and we actually ate healthier & tastier stuff than usual.

for around $10 you can buy a GIANT bag of rice from walmart & it will last you much longer than a week. plus, you can serve it for every meal as a filler and you'll always at least have rice. you can add a bit of butter or milk & some sugar for breakfast.

you can also get 6 things of ramen for $1. so if you spend $2 it would be perfect for you & DH for lunches (i wouldnt recommend giving it to a toddler cause its got a LOT of sodium).

red beans & rice. buy a bag of dried beans & follow the instructions (the dried ones are way cheaper), and a can of tomato paste. serve it hot over rice. my mom made it a lot when we were poor (its not very tasty imo, but its filling & cheap & healthy).

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• the tuna salad idea is great you make a 2 lb box of elbow noodles, use generic salad dressing(costs alot less then miracle whip) and a 16 once bag of frozen peas season with parsley.
    stretch this out by serving with fruit, fruit will always be cheaper then chips. plus the fruit keeps up the sugars
    look at your local grocery ads and look at everything on sale.. assemble meal ideas and add up the cost, make out your list. EX: if instant mashed potatoes are on sale look at the meat items that are on sale, go with that... buy snacks,drinks at the dollar tree
    also you get more if you buy a whole chicken, a 2lb roast or make a meatloaf. The leftovers can be sandwiches the next day. that way you don't have to spend extra on lunch meat. frozen veggies are cheaper and go farther. you can make 3 packs of ramen noodles add a bag of frozen mixed veggies and there's a meal for less then 2 bucks
    there's always eggs, grilled cheese, pb & j
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Do not listen to jennifer calling.You can stretch your dollar.You can buy ham for a pound for $1.59 apound and turkey for $2.59.Bread for a dollar.Garlic bread no cholesterol for a dollar.Buy tuna 3 cans,can of veggie all and mayonease put it all together and on a tostada very good and healthy.buy sugar free koolaid at the dollar store or drink water and add lemons.buy a big pitcher and add lemon slices,ground beef,pasta for 33cents,can of tomato sauce .It will cost you $3.33 cents I made that today.Instant mashed potatoes $2.00.Go to food for less or the mexican markets it is much cheaper you can buy alot of stuff for $50.00.Buy five pounds of ground beef for the week make tacos,meatloaf,and spagetti,with mash potatoes,frozen veggies like corn or buy fresh corn 5 for a dollar.Make eggs,turkey bacon,pancakes with fresh bananas or bluberries slice of bacon and cut up orangesOatmeal will cost you $3.00.I have totaled buy tortill
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Buy at the 99 cent store you can get alot of stuff there especially all your fruits.You are at 30.00 dollars if you use your money wisely make it stretch.Tortillas for a dollar,Also one more tip look at the managers specials it is very cheap.Buy beans lentil and pinto buy 4 bags it will last you a week.Make french toast,pancakes,oatmeal,eggs and bacon and orange slices,make eggs add ham,onion,bell pepper.very good.make omelets too add whatever you want even chicken,beef whatever comes to mind and top it with salsa,make veggie omeletes too .That is your one week meal for breakfast.Hope this helps.Oh you can buy this package of bluberry mix it cost 70 cents and make a bluberry loaf or banna loaf.Buy the pilbury box there are tons of recipes on there.Take tortillas about 10 or whatever you want and a can of beans.cook the beans.Oh take the tortillas and warm them up in the microwave .Get the tortillas and put the beans or chicken
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• inside roll them put oil in the pan and fry them 2 or 3 minutes on each side chop up lettuce,onion,top with these ingredients and sour cream and salsa on top.All of this will cost you $6.00 and chicken $5.00.The chicken you can cook it shred it and put in the tortilla or on a tostada with the same toppings.Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009