Quit smoking tips & advice, how did you do it?

My husband and I want another baby but I am giving myself an ultimatium... quit smoking, start trying. Any advice?

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My Husband and I quit last October , it was harder for him but "cold turkey" is what works best. The hardest part for me was in the morning with my coffee and late at night when the kids were in bed. The insentive for me was that our middle son has asthma and I didn't want to hurt him. Also it's a horrible example to set for your children. So that's what I think of everytime a craving comes. The good thing is that the cravings are less and less and I don't miss the stink. Food tastes better, my hair doesn't smell. And most of all our health is better for it. Good luck and don't give up! You can do it!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I've quit several times. Once for 18 months, this current time it's been almost 5 years and so far so good. Both times the patch worked for me. I've had other failed attempts (including one also with the patch), and found the gum did nothing for me. My SIL quit around Thanksgiving using Chantix and it's still working great for her. She had a 2+ pack a day habit and she doesn't even have the interest to smoke now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Im quitting tomorrow.. ive had this date in mind for about a month now. I plan on going cold turkey and my boyfriend is quitting with me. Its always easier when you have someone who is doing it with you. Good luck hun!!!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I too had an ultimatium 26 years ago. Either I give up my cancer sticks or my then newborn son goes without diapers. Guess who won? lol. With that choice it was extremely easy. With yours: your enjoyment of a cancer causing agent not only entering not only your system, but that of your unborn childs as well, or the health and well being of both of you.
    slvrspoon98

Answer by slvrspoon98 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• ive quit smoking many times and the most sucessful was cold turkey. before that i used chantix and it worked great. within a week i couldnt stand cigarettes and the last thing i wanted to do was smoke one. the only problem was as soon as i stoped taking it i started smoking again. also it can cause suicidal thoughts and actions in some people. this last time i quit because i am pregnant and i did it cold turkey. i set a quit date and weened myself off up until that date. its still very hard not to smoke but ill never have a better reason
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009