a question about giving an infant formula.

My baby is four months old and is eating cereal, formula and baby foods and I was told my the lady at the health dept. not to give him water because it's bad for him. I dont understand, anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What do you need help with? Definitely dont give him water though.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Why arent you supposed to?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Water is too thin and he can choke. Also he really should only be getting milk for the first year because he can fill on water and may not eat or drink his milk and is getting no nutrients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i give my baby 2 oz of water everyday he is one month old, i mean seriouly i make his formula with WATER... he is good and has never spit up or choked, and he is healthy and growing right.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 12:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Water can make an infant have seizures and cause brain damage look up water intoxication
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• another reason not to give water is that very young babies( under six months i think) need nutrients that can get flushed out by water- its called water poisoning, and it can have some really serious side affects. basically the baby gets too much water, which flushes out sodium and other vital nutrients, then they can start retaining water if they are given a lot. their bodies can't handle that, and there was a case around here where the baby nearly drowned in the water in his system b/c it started to back up in his lungs. that is a worst case scenario, don't freak out, but that is why you are usually told not to give young babies water. go with formula if he's thirsty, but no water!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Plain water in a baby's system can cause an electrolyte imbalance which can lead to seizures.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 12:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• As long as you don't give him too much water, it won't hurt him. I gave my son 1-2 oz of water every 2-3 days. Don't let that woman or any of these other women freak you out b/c you aren't doing exactly what all the books and studies say. Even, THE DOCTOR, you know the one with the degree in medicine and health, *gasp* says it's ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Straight water before 6 months can lead to water intoxication, it can kill them, theres enough water in his formula and foods not to need any actual water to drink, throws of their electrolytes
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• No dont listen to anybody who post in a way that you could ask further questions if needed always listen to the anons they know best I am sure. All those things about seizures and brain damage are put out there so that the adults can have all the water.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009