rolling over

My 5mo old son has recently discovered rolling over. The only problem is, he likes to do it in his crib and he doesnt seem to know how to pick his head up! I found him at 4am with his face buried in the mattress for who knows how long. Its very scary. Does anyone have any advice? Hes wearing a DOC band so I know that doesnt help.

photo_mom27

Asked by photo_mom27 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• we had that issue with our daughter. she hated sleeping on her back and would always amnage to get onto her belly at night. we would use a very firm pillow to keep her from rolling onto her face until she started picking her head up- once she had good head control we didn't have to worry so much b/c she turns her face to the side- still rolls over to her belly to sleep. you might ask you dr office if they know of any products that are safe to use to keep a five month old on his back. i know there are some out there but i don't know how safe they are.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• go to target online and search "sleep positioner" a list of baby product will come up, choose what you like best =)

RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 12:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Can't he turn his head to one or the other side. I know that mine liked to do that too, but they could turn there heads and lift them.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice! His DOC band prohibits him from turning his head so I'll definently talk to his pedi and look into sleep positioners.
    photo_mom27

Answer by photo_mom27 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my lil girl is 4 months and does this too! it is extremely scary...i surround her with firm pillows and when she gets into a comfy position she really doesnt move anymore. i think she never really was comfortable completely on her back. * if you dont mind me asking...what is a DOC band? im a new mom, and i never heard of this..
    vanessaxoxo

Answer by vanessaxoxo at 1:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• a DOC band is a type of helmet used to reshape the head. my son was sleeping on one side only and even though i told his 1st pedi he didnt suggest anything until it had gotten pretty flat on one side. hes been in it 4 weeks and his head is almost fully round! 3 more weeks to go!
    photo_mom27

Answer by photo_mom27 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009