• In the Spotlight:

What reason could you possibly have for giving your baby water?

If they are hungry feed them. They arent adults they dont get thirsty. When you mix water with formula it becomes formula not water.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• huh? once my son got around 4 months... I would give him an ounce of water here or there. I get thirsty. Sure babies get thirsty too. What is your point in this post? I'm confused.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I am talking about before the start cereal or anything
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• If someone lives in a hot, dry climate like I do water can be helpful.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 1:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• As long as the baby is getting the recommended amount of formula a day, I don't see anything wrong with giving a baby water. As long as its a little and not taking the place of a bottle.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Whats wrong with giving an infant water? I had to give 2 of mine water for health reasons. Now if the care giver was deluting the infants formula with more water than they should that yes, that is a problem. If the care giver was giving water instead of formula, yes that is a problem. But there is nothing wrong with giving water to an infant if its being done right. For instance, if the baby is constipated, yes water will help. Water could take the place of the harmful medicines that the babys would need for constipation. I hope no one is giving thier baby watered down formla. But, yes, there is some needs for infants and water.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• What is your issue i have given my child water at about 3-4 months old water is VERY good for you. Yes they can get a dry mouth and be thirsty. There human!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Too much water can be very harmful even fatal to an infant. It really depends on the age and the amount of water.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I'd have to say ignorance, some believe "my mom did it and I'm fine" means that it is ok. Pediatricians (or at least my childrens) said not to give water to a child under one because of the risks associated with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• To prevent dehydration in hot climates, they dont recommend giving the baby water. Instead my pediatrician told me to give my son pedialyte instead if we were going to be out all day in the heat. (like at the beach)
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Water is NOT a good idea until they start solids. It can cause dangerous electrolyte imbalances and liver issues in babies. Some doctors will okay very small amounts for constipation issues...but thats where it ends.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009