I thought the safest time to have unprotected sex was right after your period?

I've read woman have become pregnant even after their period,but I don't know how old they were and I'm sure if they were in their 20's,there was a greater chance of it,I'm alot older than that.Now I'm reading that, no having sex right after your period is bad,if you don't want to be pregnant.I thought once you had your period,the egg comes down and that's the reason we have periods and after that there's a short time between before you can get pregnant,like the time when you are expecting your next period. I need kind caring answers please, I'm already stressed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It really all depends on individual circumstance. If you have sex "after" your period I assume you mean after the bleeding stops here, most women bleed 5-7 days. It is possible for sperm to live as long as 10 days (not average but POSSIBLE) Ovulation occurs (generally) at 14 days after the first day of your last period. SO, if you have sex after the bleeding stops then it is still POSSIBLE for their to be a sperm still floating around when you ovulate. It's just not likely. The younger and healthier you are the more likely you are to have such an oopsy.
    Also you ovulate from one ovary each month, but there have been cases of women ON their period getting pregnant because the other ovary produced an egg while the uterus was still shedding.
    I stress these are not LIKELY scenarios but it is possible for the body to release an egg at any given time regardless of your cycle so the only "safe" way is to use some sort of BC
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I don't know if that really helped any or not, sorry. But generally the "safest" time to have sex would be the 3-5 days before your period.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Hope this helps some.
    Photobucket
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Ok, it is possible to get pregnant ANY TIME DURING THE MONTH. This includes; on your period, before your period, after your period. Your alot older than 20s? Shouldn't you know this by now. My mom got pregnant with me when she was 38. And she wasn't "fertile" then. I wasn't ovulating when I got pregnant either.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• if you have un-protected sex, there is always a chance that you can get pregnant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• For me, my most fertile time was just a few days after my period (they usually last 5-7 days). Sperm can live for days inside of you. You need to be careful during your entire cycle.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2009