Freedom of the Press

Do we really have freedom of the press anymore? I know we still have that right, but is it really being exercised to it's fullest potential?

Almost all news channels are operating as For Profit businesses. They're owned by people who want a certain message given. (Fox News being the biggest culprit)

It seems weird to say, but I get a less biased better coverage of politics on the Daily Show than on my regular news station. Jon Stewart is intelligent, concise, and up to date with the goings on in the world. He gives just as much grief to the left as he does the right and points out when they're talking about of both sides of their mouths. How sad is it that a satiric news show gives better news than a news station?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You people do know who Rupert Murdoch is, don't you?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6737097743434902428
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Fox news being the biggest culprit well Americans seem to love them they keep watching for some reason.Fox is rated the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It all comes back to personal responsibility. People have got to be vigilant and think critically about the "news" they're given. What is so scary about the "news" channels, is that some people actually TRUST these networks to tell them the truth. Fox News IS the most dangerous of these, because they have a huge audience of rabid fans who do truly believe that the news they're being fed is "fair and balanced" when in reality it's even more skewed to the right than CNN or MSNBC is to the left. The reason FNC is so popular is simply this: it tells right-wingers (who vastly outnumber lefties) what they want to hear. It has nothing whatsoever to do with truthful reporting.

Do we have freedom of the press? I think we still do. However, without a responsible public who can think for themselves and discern real news from all the corporate/government propaganda, it's pretty useless.
    Anonymous

• Almost all news channels are operating as For Profit businesses. They're owned by people who want a certain message given. (Fox News being the biggest culprit)

ROFLMAO

Oh by the way, the daily show is a joke and Jon Stewart is a dork
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anon :21, your argument does not prove that they aren't a For Profit business putting out their own agenda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anon :21, I agree. FoxNews is just a bunch of BLOGS> Jon Stewart does give it to both the Left and theRight. He jokes about Reps and Dems. Equal opportunity comedy. I trust him more than those meanies on Fox. The other Cable News networks are biased too.
    Anonymous

• "Oh by the way, the daily show is a joke and Jon Stewart is a dork "

He sure does put rightie's on the run... even on their own shows. Dork? Perhaps. Knowledgeable? Absolutely!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• OP: (Fox News being the biggest culprit)

Where is your data to prove this point? Or is this just YOUR opinion?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

So?  I was making my own point.  You can agree with me or not.   The fact that they're part of a for-profit corporation with their own agenda is kind of a "duhhhh" thing.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The Daily Show? LOL Completely unbiased, uh-huh. What a crock of sh-t!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009