Can a family in America live without owning a car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm 35 and I don't even have a driver's license.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I'm sure that many do.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I know families that do. Actually, in my town and the neighboring town, its pretty common.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes!
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 1:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I would think if you lived in a major city with public transportation. My hubby and I got away with 1 car for an entire year, while we both worked and had our first baby....all while living in our first military instalation with no family to help us out.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• We have a car and it's been sitting for almost 2 months cause we don't have the $$ to fix it but we take the bus and I work in a grocery store so ya I believe a lot of people do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Probably depends where you live. It'd be pretty difficult if you live in a very rural town.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes. I didn't own a car for a short while after my divorce. I just walked everywhere and kids rode the bus to school. Luckily though, we lived right across the street from a grocery.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• We did for many years; my husband has now has a a work vehicle. We still mostly walk and use public transit and iGo.

I can't imagine living where I had to depend on a car.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think that it really comes down to where you live. I think where we live right now this would not be a possibility, no public transit and we are about 10+ miles from the closest grocery store. My husband drives about 40 miles to work so it would not work for our family. If you lived in a larger city where there was public transportation than absolutely.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009