Questions about solids

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and has been having cereal since 4 months.
The past while I've given her sweet potato, and apple either mixed together or seperate, mixed with cereal(she won't have it plain yet, so I'm gradually putting less and less cereal).
I make it myself and store it in little baby food storing containers and I give her about half a jar for lunch each day.
She seems like she wants more most of the time. She gets mad when there's none left and will fuss and smack her hands on the high chair tray.
Would it be okay to up her portions? Maybe just give some extra cereal on the side?
I don't want to give her too much :/
How much do you feed your baby?

Also I'm breastfeeding and I do always nurse her before her lunch.

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 1:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most moms on here are by-the-bookers and will attack me for saying so....but I'm more of a do-what-makes-them-happy mom. My first son never ate much, the second was eating from a spoon @ two months, and my third is only 7 months old and he's been eating table food for 2 months. He will not touch anything mashed lo. Anyway, to quote my doctor "If the boy's hungry, feed him".
    I don't see anything wrong with uping her portions so long as she's still nursing or getting the recommended amount of formula. Every baby is different, she may just be telling you she's hungry.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• IMO

If you are breastfeeding before giving solids, and she is getting her fill on milk, then give her more solids :) I too am a believer in feeding a baby when they are hungry, I don't care what a damn book says.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Why lower the cereal in the baby food? Mine always ate it thick. They also had an easier time moving on to table foods than the babies of my friends who at right out of the jar.

At 5 months, my boys were eating two stage 2 jars per meal. She'll stop eating when she's full.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Well I really have just been using the cereal to dumb down the taste not really to thicken it, I'm scared it will make her constipated if it's too thick.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• When BFing ANY solids you give are just for play not for nutrition, and cereal is pointless really...BF babies tend to like more tatsier foods so no need to dumb down the tastes for her...your BM changes in taste with what you eat so she is used to a variety its ok.

BF babies are recommended to wait til 6 months of BFing before starting solids, because you started before this there is more of a chance of early weaning, the second anything but BM is given weaning has started....beware only 25% of her diet should be solids by 12 months of age the rest should be BM.
    Heres info on solids
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Applesauce will have the opposite effect on your baby.

The extra fiber will help her stay more regular as you advance on to more and more solids.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Give her as much as she wants...babies don't really overeat so its not a concern. It sounds like you started cereal fairly early (4 mo.) so by 5.5 mo....she is probably ready for more! Keep the food coming and give her as much variety as you can as early as you can. Use the 4 day wait rule (only one new food for 4 days, then introduce another, and another, etc. so that you can watch for allergies) but the more flavors you get in her before she turns 1...the better eater you'll have when she's a toddler. Good for you for making your own baby food! If you need any tips or suggestions...feel free to contact me - I made my own too!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Feed Her until she is full! Babies have a growth spurt at about that age so she will want more! And cereal is important for her even if she is getting breastfed so don't worry about that! If she starts having trouble with her BM's then you can add a little water to her to her diet! Most will say that breastfed babies don't need water but if she is getting solids then she is not considered just a breastfed baby anymore! Start with one to two oz at a time twice a day after she eats her solids! But in a couple weeks don't be scared if she eats less! After the growth spurt she will most likely slow down of even stop wanting solids all together for a while! just follow her cue and trust yourself!
    EmmasMama723

Answer by EmmasMama723 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You could definitely give her more.

If you're afraid of constipation, very constipating foods are applesauce, bananas, rice cereal, avacado
    Foods that tend to loosen things up a lot are pears, prunes, peaches, apricots, juices, breast milk

Are you giving her oat cereal or barley cereal instead of rice? Rice tends to be REALLY constipating..

If she does get backed up, stop giving her apples. The person who said that apples are not constipating is dead wrong. And, also, watering down the cereal with BM or juice -IS- in fact a good idea if she tends to get constipated.. but be careful about how runny you make it cause she could choke easier. Don't give her water.. give her more BM.

If I were you I'd start introducing some new stuff and feed her a little extra. Pears and peaches are both great options to try.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 4:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• thanks for all the input. very helpful<3
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009