what can I give a child to get them to poop

my friend has a dd who will be 2 in october. she just asked what she can give her to make her poop because its been 4 days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Prune juice works magic.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 1:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• apple juice helps sometimes...but ditto on the prune juice
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• prune juice or mix kayro syrup in one of her drinks.. 3 parts drink 1 part syrup....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• prune juice is a godsend. dilute or mix with apple, if they've never drank it before it can be slightly gross. put it in a VERY special glass, cup, or buy special silly straws..... make sure kiddo is very thirsty 1st, maybe offer a bowl of pretzels 1st. you want them to drink it down and not screw around with it. my kids I can plan for about 45 minutes after finishing glass to expect tummy grumbles... and go from there.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Apple juice, let her eat a whole bunch of grapes, no dairy or bananas. After 4 days you may want to conseider a stool softener because my DD got like that at that age and when the poop finally did come it was so hard and too big for her little bum and it really hurt her. There is a stool softener called Colace and you just put a dropper of it in her drink.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 2:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Prune juice is good...but fiber, fiber, fiber is the answer for long term poo success. Dark greens are high in fiber - broccoli, green beans...also regular beans are good...whole grains usually have more fiber than white ...look for yogurt with fiber added. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• have her call her dd pedi cause she may want her to use a suppository...my son back a few months ago went almost 5 days w/o pooping and she said to give him one infant suppository...it worked.....and he poops at least once a day now....but yeah....thats what id do...id call the pedi.....it cant hurt

Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• There is a powdered fiber that you can get to mix with their milk that works really well. It is not a laxative; it is just added fiber, and I believe that you have to have a prescription for it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my ds has had probs since he was born. we'd give him straight prune juice when he was 2 and it did nothing. ended up going to a GI specialist who said fiber and gave us miralax. you can buy it otc and since it's not absorbed into the body you can't realy od on it. my ds takes an adult dose now and he's only 7. but its tasteless and you mix it in anything...we do milk because he can't have it much so it's a treat. also, you can go to any store and get a infant enema. no fun, but it'll make the kid go.
    jenjen1107

Answer by jenjen1107 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• prune or pear
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 10:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009