Ever hear this?

The Presidential Socialist Candidate, Norman Thomas, said the following in his 1944 speech:

"The American people will never KNOWINGLY adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they WILL adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America WILL be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." He went on to say: "I NO LONGER need to run as a Presidential Candidate for the Socialist Party. The Democratic Party has adopted our platform."

NOTE: Norman Matoon Thomas (born November 20, 1884 - died December 19, 1968) was a leading American socialist, PACIFIST, and six-time presidential candidate for the SOCIALIST Party of America.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I've heard it and I'll tell you that I will NEVER accept socialism, willingly or otherwise! I'll die fighting against it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I heard this while growing up. I didn't know who actually said it. We were still being warned at every turn about communism. We were always told that the communist would take over our country and never fire a shot. I was a teenager during the height of the Cold War - lots of fear. Now as an adult, I am conservative and very glad of it. I like not being angry 24/7.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009