Any Natural Remedies for the Common Cold??

I can't believe this! We just got back from shopping at walmart for school supplies and as we were shopping the sore throat I woke up with got progressively worse. I'm achey and tired and have a runny nose and cough. Of all weeks to get sick it has to be this one, a week before school starts.

If anyone has some suggestions on what to take....I know green tea is good and vitamin c....any other things you can think of???

I'll be back after I take a nap to check your replies.

Thank you. :)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 2:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Health

• Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.

Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.

Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).

I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

Most important, stay well hydrated!

Feel better

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• A super strong cup of black tea with a little honey will do wonders. You could also try some hot water with some lemon and honey. I know there are some herbs that are supposed to help, but I try to stick to hot tea and tylenol lol. I hope you feel better soon.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• chopped up ice to suck on and Popsicycles (sp) Brand by Good Humor ORANGE!!!!! that and advil works great for me. Watch the advil though very careful. Too much can cause a swelling or breathing trouble.

And NaSal or Ayer Brand saline nose spray nonmedicated.

SORRY MOMMY>>> Feel better SOON!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I use zinc. I have it in my vitamins. I have it in pill form by itself and in lozenge form. It really helps me get over colds quickly

Answer by admckenzie at 3:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Your body needs to fight off the virus and there is no strong science-based evidence that supports eating anything special will speed up this process. However, there are lots of things that you can do to make yourself more comfortable. Make sure you stay hydrated. Depending on your symptoms, humidifiers can help, along with nice hot showers, hot beverages of any kind (no alcohol though, alcohol is a diuretic). If you have aches and pains, I love ibuprofen.

Watch out for those zinc nasal sprays. They have been linked to permanent damage to your olfactory system (you won't be able to smell)!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009