bedtime

my son is only 2 weeks old but since the beginning I cannot sleep on my own. if I put him in his crib give it 5 to 10 min and he will cry. he will sleep on his own in my bed though. ( with extra props of course) but I cant have him always sleeping with me. right now I am still at home but I am a single mom and have to work this out on my own. can anyone help??

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 2:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that is hard to hear your baby cry but at some point it will become necessary for your little one to learn how to soothe himself. Sometimes it is better to start sooner than later because the baby won't have expectations of having someone else soothe them. I wouldn't let the baby cry too long or get into a huge fit but maybe he is being picked up before given the opportunity to soothe. I have four little ones that have all slept through the night starting at around six weeks and I know that with my twins, which were my first, it was very difficult. I cried while they cried but within 15 minutes, which was my cutoff time, they were fast asleep and it just got easier from there. Good luck.
    MamaAmber803

Answer by MamaAmber803 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I disagree with pp. while I do plan to let dd (who is now 1 week old) cry it out, I don't think 2 weeks is old enough for that. dd sleeps on her back in a bassinet beside my bed. she too does not like sleeping in it by herself so I have started putting my hand on her stomach so she knows I'm here. if that doesn't soothe her, I will snuggle with her until she falls asleep. after about 15 minutes I will try putting her back in her bassinet. there are some nights it won't work and she ends up sleeping on my chest but for the most part (as long as she is full and clean) she will sleep in the bassinet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Try a swing or putting baby to sleep on an angle in his crib (put a pillow UNDER the mattress on one side so it is on a slant). Sometimes, at this age, being flat on their back causes digestive upset which means it is harder to sleep. At 2 weeks, mine slept in a bouncer most of the time...but by 2 mo. she was in her own crib, sleeping 8-11 hours at night with no angle. Good Luck. You have to remember that at 2 weeks...you're really in survival mode - there is plenty of time to teach good sleeping habits as baby gets older...right now - you need your sleep so take it however you can get it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The truth is that at two weeks they just don't sleep well if they don't have that contact! A baby in the womb is always comforted and they are in shock after they are born! I know that people will think I am crazy but I started about putting my kids on their stomach during daytime naps at about three weeks and that helped them to get that comfort and sleep better during the day and a baby that rests well during the day rests better at night! Then I let them sleep on their stomachs all the time at about five weeks! It is safe if you are careful, no blankets or anything in the crib and you have to check on them( the same applies if they are on their backs)! I also don't rock them at bedtime I just lay them down so they get to self soothe. It sounds bad but trust me my kids are great they both slept through the night at a month old and have always put themselves to sleep. Good luck and it really does get better!
    EmmasMama723

Answer by EmmasMama723 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Ok, do NOT let him cry it out -- if you do that before 6 months it CAN cause brain damage. And, wth, do not let him sleep on his stomach either -- it is linked to SIDS!

Have you tried swaddling him? Google swaddling. Have you tried a binkie? Have you tried sleeping on his blanket or sheets so that they smell like you and then putting him in the crib? Are you sure he's in deep sleep and totally limp before you lay him down? Have you tried white noise? Are you sure he isn't having reflux or something -- so laying totally flat is an issue? You could buy a prop or bouncer that vibrates and try letting him sleep in there.

No, he can't stay in your bed.. but at 2 weeks his central nervous system may be very immature and he may have trouble sleeping apart from you.. but try the stuff I suggested and do NOT CIO!

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 4:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009