How do you feel about this??

I am divorced and am catholic. I went to file for an annulent and they told me its going to cost me $2500. WTH??? Its costing me more to file with this then my actual divorce!! I must admit that I am a little crushed as I was never married in a church the 1st time around so I vowed that it would be in the house of God if I were to ever do that again. I just feel that its all about the money and not about what truely matters. How the hell makes up these laws anyways?? I love my faith but this is asking a little much if you ask me. What do you ladies think??

newlifewith3

Asked by newlifewith3 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ok honestly that is F***ed up. Sorry, but I don't see how it's any of their business. I would just get married somewhere else. But then I'm not of any religion because some of man's rules are stupid. This one for example. But you do what your heart tells you to do. Personally I would not pay this. It's unnecessary and apparently a rip off scam at that seeing how someone else said $500 was the highest they found. Find a different church and don't tell them you are divorced.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I'm surprised.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• laws vary state to state, i'm not a Catholic so I'm not really sure what your religion requests of you. I know that an annulment says that a marriage never existed where divorce is the undoing of it so to speak. In NC, I wasn't eligible to get annulment they have very odd guidelines it's near impossible BUT my divorce only cost $250 and I was told filing for annulment would have ran the same. I'm not sure where you live but I agree that seems insane I would look around for a new lawyer or look into doing it yourself. Here applying for an annulment was as simple as filling out a one page form and showing up for a court date. Good luck to you!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The annulment is through the Catholic church and I need one if my BF and I are planning on getting married in that church. I can get remarried as the divorce is final allowing me to remarry. Its just the laws of the Catholic church!!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I just did a quick search and the highest amount I found was $500. Talk to them and tell them you can't afford that and if they won't work with you try going to another Parrish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Well, I see then. Yes, that seems unfair to me since they have you over a barrel there!! I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this I know divorce is never easy in itself, let alone having to jump through red tape to boot.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY MANY REASONS WHY I WAS DISSAPOINTED WITH THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. IF YOU HAVE THE $ YOU CAN HAVE AS MANY ANNULMENTS AS YOU WISH, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Answer by older at 3:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• LOL. The thing is there is only 1 Catholic church here in town. My BF told me that I should pay him the $2500 and then he'll fly us down to Cuba. lol He told me that I was crazy to even consider it! So I don't think I will bother with it. But can we get married in another church if we don't belong there?
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes you can get married in another Church if you don't belong to it, but if you want to remain Catholic and be able to take part in communion and all you really need to see about the Annulment. It's not a matter of money with no questions asked either, it's a whole process of looking into whether or not the Church sees your first marriage as a "legal" union (not in the civil sense) and there is actually no guarantee that they will even grant you the Annulment. One example I recently heard mentioned on Catholic radio of an instance where you'd likely get an Annulment is if one spouse was a drug addict and hid that from the other before the marriage, or if they were physically abusive after getting married. I don't know the circumstances of your divorce but that's something to think about. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. (They should work with you on the price or on payment options though if you ask about that)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think it is to discourage divorce? Who knows.

To me, what's worse is an elderly Catholic individual, worried about the state of her soul if her funeral isn't in the Catholic church but doesn't have the $14,000 her church wanted to do the funeral. That's nice that this woman is going to die thinking she's going to be in purgatory forever because she can't come up with $14,000 (she's a friend of mine).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009