homeschool Q

do you "wing it" or purchase a curriculum? if so, which one(s)?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in

• We will be using a kindergarten and pre-k curriculum from The Calvert School this fall
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Here is a link to a critque of homeschoolers by a college professor: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ontario/714766/

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It depends on the age/grade you'll be working with. For Pre-K & Kindergarten I felt very comfortable winging it although I had talked to teachers and had written goals of all that my children should be learning. From then on out I preferred to purchase a curriculum, mostly because I'm working with 3 children that are 3 years apart in age and in different grade levels. A prepared curriculum saves me time and my sanity.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• We "wing it" all the way! If a specific book, curriculum or class gives us what we want for a while, we use it, but mostly we simply learn as we go along from whatever we are doing.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 5:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• We are doing 1st. Some of it is self-made through a variety of grade appropriate workbooks and worksheets (grammar/writing/math). Others I have specific books I am using and have found lesson schedules online (Apologia Science- Zoology 1). For yet other stuff I have resorted to using bits and pieces of premade curriculums, so I didn't have to bother. (I.e. Health and History are from Abeka, and I supplement with outside materials).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• For preschool with my 3 year old we are pretty much winging it. I have completed a basic outline of the curriculum I want to do with him this year, and each week I will use that to print of worksheets from the internet.

For my 5 year old starting Kindergarten, I bought a curriculum. We will be using the Moving Beyond the Page Curriculum for Gifted and Creative Children. Atleast we will start off using this curriculum and see how things go. If he doesn't like it, I will switch to something else. I am also using Click N Read Phonics to teach him how to read. I want to buy Right Start Math for him, but that will probably have to wait until next year because I can't really afford it. For his math this year I will be printing worksheets off the internet. The set curriculum and everything should only take us a few hours a day to get thru, so for the rest of the day we will be unschooling, and letting him decide what to learn.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 1:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We're "wingits", too. Textbooks are SOOOO boring & just full of dry, incomplete facts. They're written with the intent of filling a kid's short-term memory with names & dates long enough to pass a test --- then it's gone.

We use textbooks for math & english (grammar). We also have textbooks & online sources that we use as a guide so that we know what we should be studying in other subjects... then we hit the library, history channel, discovery channel, biography channel, etc.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009