Can a fixed cat still have symptoms of being in heat? (PIOG)

I adopted a cat a few months ago from the humane society, and she is fixed (they fix all the animals that come through their doors).

However, for the last day or two she will not shut up! She has that moanish meow that cats get when they are in heat. And she has been having unusual behavior, such as peeing in my daughters room and scratching my daughter (she is generally very sweet tempered and is box trained...never a problem with the litter box until a few days ago and I clean it every day).

So, can a cat still "cycle" and have hormonal issues when it should be her time even though she is fixed?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 2:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pets

• It could be a symtom of something else. I'd take the cat to be checked by the vet.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I googled this, and it seems that if some ovarian tissue is left in that they can get heat symptoms. The only thing I could find was that they need another surgery to remove the rest of the tissue. One comment said their vet told them to bring the cat in when she was at the height of her symptoms so they could run hormone tests to make sure that's what it was, rather then immediately doing more surgery. The same writer said it turned out that it was a one-time thing for their cat, she didn't have the symptoms after that, so you may want to wait to see if it happens again. Or call your vet and talk about it, so it is on the record, anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Simple answer, yes. If a cat was spayed too young they can still have symptoms of being in heat. I learned this first hand with my cat. I adopted her from the SPCA, she was just under 2 months old. It seemed like a few months went by and she started this weird meowing and she would go insane if you scratched her by her tail. My aunt who is a groomer/breeder said if they were fixed to young they could still show symptoms of being in heat. If it continues, talk to your vet
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009