Can a fixed cat still have symptoms of going into heat? (PIOG)

I adopted a cat a few months ago from the humane society, and she is fixed (they fix all the animals that come through their doors).

However, for the last day or two she will not shut up! She has that moanish meow that cats get when they are in heat. And she has been having unusual behavior, such as peeing in my daughters room and scratching my daughter (she is generally very sweet tempered and is box trained...never a problem with the litter box until a few days ago and I clean it every day).

So, can a cat still "cycle" and have hormonal issues when it should be her time even though she is fixed?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 2:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If she was fixed after having cycles yes they can display these behaviors still, not peeing in the box is not a symptom of being in heat though. It sounds like she may possibly have a UTI or other urinary issues (cycts or crystals).
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• yes i had a fixed cat that yowled and sprayed, take her to the vet she's probably got a UTI
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes, she has a litter before she got fixed so then I am guessing that this is at least a part of her "issues" for the past few days.

I will look into the UTI thing...any suggestions other than taking her to the vet? I am a college student and don't have much extra cash...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• If it's a UTI she really needs pain meds and antibiotics from a vet, I apologize I know that's not what you want to hear. Some cats are prone to get crystals in their bladder and frequent utis, giving her distilled water and switching to a specialized diet may be necessary but it's often a one time thing. Just make sure she has plenty of fresh drinking water.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• maybe the humane society where you got her from has a vet referall you will take you at less cost? call them and ask!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• vet prescribed meds are the only thing that's going to stop the cat from peeing in your house. if you can't afford it give the cat away on craigslist and get a new one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• What does PIOG mean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Thank you ladies, I will call the humane society and see if they can help me out.

Oh, and by the way, giving her away just because she might have a UTI is ridiculous. That's like giving your child up for adoption because they got strep throat.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• PIOG means "posted in other group"

I also posted in the "Pets" section but I know that "Just for fun" usually gets more of a response, so I asked in both places.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009