Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does this work?

My friend is from England. Her hubby is American, in the Air Force. His enlistment is up soon, and they are talking about him getting out and them moving back to England. She tells me that the government will pay them SO much for living there, and for their housing, and all that, that they won't have to work for a full year and still be living well. She said her kids will be covered for healthcare insurance or whatever it is indefinitely. How can the government afford to pay them so much that neither of them will have to work for a full year? She's super excited because it's going to be like a year of vacation for them. They will do anything for money not to have to work especially her hubby cos he is very lazy, but I just don't see how that can be. Do I need to move to England lol? Does anyone know what she is talking about?


Asked by AprilDJC at 2:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 20 (8,524 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • The National Health Service is free, true enough, but as for the rest of it , I am not sure. If she has sufficient contributions , she may be able to collect unemployment insurance, but the benefits are not very generous and there are strings attached. I cannot see how most of their housing will be paid for unless they are on social assistance and classed as unable and unfit to work which does not seem to be the case. UK social benefits are more generous and comprehensive than in the US, but you have to qualify and there is no 'free lunch' for freeloaders. Ask her for details especially about housing as houses are very expensive there. I have serious doubts about what she is telling you.

    Answer by janet116 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Sorry but your friend sounds like a real loser.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • My sister was married to an Air Force guy for 24yrs and they never once got anything like that. The Air Force is good but not that good!! I think there is more to this story than your friend is telling you!!

    Answer by newlifewith3 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • Sounds like she is telling a big fish tale! I have a friend who lives in England right now her Husband is Air Force too she was born and raised there. They just had to shell out 500 dollars in road tax and 300 dollars in TV tax. They have not received any money from England.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • Yeah I have no idea what she is talking about, something about the goverment paying them to live there because they will have to buy a house or something, he will no longer be military, and they will make so much money from the government that they wont have to work. I don't know lol, i thought someone on here might know.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 3:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • She just said, lol, that she is entitled to different benefits and stuff like that, and the kids medical is all free over there.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 3:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • If people get educated they would know that most kids medical over here is also free. They lowered the SCHIP financial and raised the age limits to something like 19 or 21. Anyway, they don't have free healthcare it is paid through taxes. Did she say they were not going to be taxed too?

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • I'm not sure about the taxes. Apparently they are going to get so many benefits that most of their housing is going to be paid for, their medical will be paid for, they will have plenty of money to live on, etc. She says she may get a part time job when her kids get in school (they are 3 and 1) and her hubby will look for a job after their first 6-8 months there.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 6:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • An addition to my previous answer. If your friend is living in the US and has been for some time,, I think she will be unable to qualify for any benefits at all in the UK until she has been resident there again for six months and been paying national insurance contributions during that time ( usually deducted from paychecks } even if she is still a British citizen. That used to be the rule for returning Britons who had lived in other countries outside the European Union.

    Answer by janet116 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 16, 2009