Also posted in P&CE section: How does this work?

My friend is from England. Her hubby is American, in the Air Force. His enlistment is up soon, and they are talking about him getting out and them moving back to England. She tells me that the government will pay them SO much for living there, and for their housing, and all that, that they won't have to work for a full year and still be living well. She said her kids will be covered for healthcare insurance or whatever it is indefinitely. How can the government afford to pay them so much that neither of them will have to work for a full year? She's super excited because it's going to be like a year of vacation for them. They will do anything for money not to have to work especially her hubby cos he is very lazy, but I just don't see how that can be. Do I need to move to England lol? Does anyone know what she is talking about?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's probably the social network there in England.
    If you are unemployed the government pays you every month (for example, in germany it's 70 percent of your old paycheck), your healthcare (yes, european countries have universal healthcare systems like Obama wants for us) will also be paid for!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 2:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Your friend is looking forward to living on welfare for a year. You could do that here, too, just with a lot less self-respect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Oh, and they can afford it because everyone who isn't on the dole and is actively working to support your friend and her kids pays about half of their income in taxes, no matter how much money they make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anon, that's about as good as my guess got too. Who in their right mind would be excited to live off of welfare when they are both perfectly capable of working just because they are entitled to it? Not me lol. I don't see why anyone would think someone should pay them to stay home and be lazy. I mean she does alot taking care of their kids and their house and all, but he doesn't even want to do his job in the military, he's always taking off for appointments and such, I think they are looking forward to him not even having to work lol. Just pure laziness to me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Wow, even if you retire from the military, you still don't get that much to live on and the health benefits are restricted for retirees and their dependents.
    I think your friend is blowing smoke up your butt if she is leading you to believe that the military is supporting them for a year if her husband is not retiring.
    Not re-enlisting and retiring are two different things altogether. If you do not retire from the military and choose not to re-enlist, then you are cut off from all benefits altogether.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No not the military, the government of England since she is an English citizen.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2009