This week I will be dropping my daughter off at collage. It's a first for me and need to know

if it is really neccessary to attend the 3 day long orientation event for parents? I have to bring my young son along and he's just too full of energy. I will be spending my time chasing him around instead of meeting the faculty and getting to know other parents.
It kills me that I can't go to all 3 days but I don't have anyone to watch him and I will have my hands full. Instead of enjoying the time I will just end up stressed out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• The Ferpa I found very reassuring considering closed records of differents schools circumstances in news for parents affected. My son shared very comfortably his accounts nformation at college and in early early stressfull times I was able to gain comfort from checking in but yet I never confronted him with what I knew from viewing records. Viewing them merely gave me insight to him during shared hardship between us of loss. On top of that his college's ferpa was very open to parents with potential and real childstudent's difficulties when a real concern of comfort all around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• As someone who went to college fairly recently...no, its not necessary...as long as you have a responsible daughter who will pass along any necessary information. My parents couldn't attend any of it and we did just fine. Its nice to meet the faculty, etc. but the truth is that college is typically "practice" for being on your own in the real world...its okay to let her handle this on her own.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i wouldn't go... that sounds crazy. what's the point of it!!?!? you know your answer... just don't go.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• There's activities, parents meet the staff and other parents, maybe iron out last minute details. I do know that It will be hard to leave her behind in her new dorm. I am excited for her, I never got to do what she is doing, leaving will be hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• As a college student myself I can honestly say that the orientation is not necessary. Although I am married and therefore dont need my parents to go i dont go to orientation either. The majority of the time you walk around the campus and listen to the tour guide tell you things about college life and the proper procedures for enrolling. I would say it is fine for you to not go. As long as you know your daughter will tell you anything important.
    mamasangels2009

Answer by mamasangels2009 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I have two kids in college. We made an appointment for us as parents to meet her academics counsellor - we had the blessings of our daughter and counsellor. At that time she as a freshman wanted to transfer down the line to another college. You can always do that in a week or 2, 3.

There will also probably be parents weekend at the college to get tours and ask questions. it could be homecoming weekend or before.

and in case you didn't know it, if you're worried. college kids do have to decide on ferpa - records rights for parents to contact or view. You can look up your college's rights on their own website.
    Some colleges are very liberal outright. Others recently changed from NO parents NO WAY to meet the new IDEA and FERPA law inclusive too of students in college not disabled. If your college receives federal funds then with proof that you as parent on your tax forms claim student as dependent have access.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009