What's A's relationship to my kids??

I am confused by something...

My DH has a 1st cousin (W) and W has a son (A).

W is DH's 1st cousin, then A is DH's 2nd cousin - right??
THen W is my kids 2nd cousin and A is my kids 3rd cousin???

It doesn't really matter, but W adn DH are very close and so our kids will hopefully be close as well - so it is just my curiosity.....

What is A's relationship to my kids?? 2nd cousin or 3rd cousin???

Thanks in advance :-)

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 2:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• A is dh's first cousin once removed.

Your kids are first cousins once removed to W.

Your kids and A are second cousins.

First, second and third cousins etc are direct descendants of first cousins and of the same generation.  Once, twice, thrice removed etc are direct descendants of first cousins but from different generations.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• 3rd - the next number in line after your DH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I was confused by this, so I looked on my family tree program that has a handy feature. When you mouse over any family member on the tree, it identifies the relationship to the original person.

According to the family tree program my cousin (W) is the first cousin once removed of my daughter, and her daughter (A) is my daughters second cousin.

Try getting using the program I use www.myheritage.com Its free, and it was important to me to get all the family information I could from our "elders" before they pass away or start losing their memory. It is very user friendly and again, its free!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It just seems like they should be closer in relation than 3rd cousins. That seems a bit "distant".

Like I said - it really doesn't matter. They are cousins regardless, but I am just confused. :-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 3:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I never understood the once, twice removed.....

Thanks beeky but I still don't think I understand, LOL.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 5:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Lol Ratchettee, it is a difficult concept to wrap your head around.  It took me a long time before it all clicked with me but once it clicks it is so crystal clear.  If you are really interested, feel free to pm me and I should be able to explain it better without the character restrictions of this section.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009