Do you agree with this?

My step mom says she will take my 2 year old out to the dollar store every time she visits to pick out 5 items to get. I think it's a waste of money and only going to spoil my child. Her argument is it's only $5 and small toys. My argument is she don't need toys and she definately doesn't need them at EVERY visit! I have no problem with her getting her an outfit to grow into or an age approirate toy now and then. but every visit? I think it's just setting a bad precedent. I really don't want, 6 months down the road, to have the argument with a 2 year old that she can't get a toy today with her kicking and screaming going I want grandma. Ya know? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree that grandma shouldn't do it at EVERY visit. I know grandmas love to spoil but in the end it only hurts the child. There will come a day when the child will think that mom should do the same as grandma does. I would tell her it is fine to buy her things every now and then but not on every visit to to the store. Otherwise she will start to expect it from others as well.
    mamasangels2009

Answer by mamasangels2009 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• She is grandma let her spoil the baby .
    Thats what they do .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I cant imagine anybody wanting that many cheap toys at their house. I think an outfit would be a good idea. Or a educational toy or book from grandma every once in a while. What kid doesnt love to snuggle up with grandma for a story?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 2:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i totally agree with you. its your child you should have the say so of what goes and what doesnt. i would throw out the toys since they are only ''5 dollars'' lol
    samantha107

Answer by samantha107 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I dont see a problem with it, most children know they are spoiled by grandma and it doesnt mean they will be spoiled in general... Thats just what grandmas are for.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Is this the only child you have?? Cause I went through the same thing with my mother with my 1st born. Then I had 2 more kids after that and the spoiling stopped! It took a bit to get her to realize what she was doing and we did stop talking at one point. But I think she finally realized that I wasn't going to put up with it. You have every right to feel the way you do.
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My mom and I dont live in the same state but we usually get to visit her every other month or so. She likes to put my daughter in a shopping cart and tells her to pick what she wants off the shelves(usually at walmart) She hates that we live so far away and truly enjoys spoiling her. My daughter is almost 3 and understands that is her and grandmas special day and she only can do that on her day with grandma. Now that I am expecting a boy my mom mails stuff everytime she gets something she likes. It makes her feel good. Why not let her?
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 3:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Ask her to put the money into a college fund.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't want my wishes disregarded like that.
    I'd be concerned, too, about the safety of those items. Made in China? lead paint? BPA plastic?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I agree with you. 100%
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009