Homeschooling moms, I am new to all this, so how do I get organized?

What ideas have you found work best?

Also, does your student do school work at a desk, or the kitchen table? What works best?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in

• call the school district and they will get you in touch with other homeschoolers nearby who can give you the benefit of experience. I homeschooled my grandkids and only used a desk when research or testing was done online. We took lots of field trips. I used a board on an easel set up in the living room for the lessons and when they worked out of their workbooks some went to their room and some went to the kitchen table. It's just whatever feels ok to you.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You'll need to set up a semi-schedule so that you don't get frustrated trying to accomplish everything at one time. I work my household chores into the breaks that we have or the few minutes that they're all doing independent study.

I have older children that don't require me to be with them all the time during lessons. We all start at the kitchen table and go over the lessons to make sure each child understands what is expected in the assignments, then they will generally work independently. I am ALWAYS available to answer questions, explain concepts, do one-on-one work, and maybe read together. We take breaks every 45 minutes to an hour so they can get rid of some fidgets, get a drink or use the bathroom. Sometimes we'll break to take a nature walk or do some internet research on a subject.

I plan out the lessons for the next week on the weekend. I use www.thehomeschoolmom.com to print out charts and assignment sheet
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Im new to this as well, we will be home schooling this fall. My boys are in pre-k and kindergarten. I plan on doing certain lessons at a table, reading lessons in the comfy noook, and weather and season type lessons outside as much as possible. We will be working on the Calvert School curriculum which breaks the lessons down perfectly so that I know when to do what and how to explain it the best, if you have anymore questions please pm me anytime
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I've been HSing a month and I'm just now getting organized and on track. I have a filing cabinet upstairs with one half of the drawer being just for school. I use one folder for each subject and put worksheets that are paperclipped by subject, in the order I will use them. I also have separate folders for the school information as we are under and "umbrella" PSP, one for lapbook materials, project materials, and attendance and grade sheets.

My curriculum is all written down in a paper teacher planning book (Scholastic - about $5 at the local teaching supply store.) You can list things for each day for each week, and by subject.

I also have the free version of HomeSchool Tracker to log actual attendance/teaching hours, field trips, and any grades.

I have all workbooks/reference books in a crate (2 bucks at Walmart) for the time being - until I can get a bookshelf.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I have two main folders - one that is weekly and one that is daily. I spend Friday or Saturday night pulling together all sheets and materials I need and putting the sheets in the Weekly folder, paperclipped by day. The night before I then transfer the next days pile to the Daily folder so everything is in there for the next school day.

We often work at the kitchen table. On some days we go to the library and do stuff there instead. Reading related subjects (i.e. history or science) is often read on the couch or floor or wherever.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Ok, first off... DON'T call the local school district & expect kind, helpful advice. Depending on where you live, the school may not even know about the homeschoolers in their district. If you want to find other local HSers, check your local YMCA, library, places of worship, scout troops, youth sports leagues, 4-H, martial arts/gymnastics schools, & Yahoo groups.

Second, join the Happy Homeschoolers and/or Secular Homeschooling groups here on CM -- VERY helpful folks over there.

Thirdly --- there's no right or wrong answer to your question. The beauty of homeschooling is the flexibility. Whatever works best for you, that's what you do. Trial & error are all part of the journey. Some people follow a strict schedule, while others just go with the flow. Some have a classroom, while others do it where ever they "fall" on that particular day.

G'luck to you & welcome aboard!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2009