hey have a question about my cat...

Ok i have been letting my cat out the house and come in cause im going to make my cat an out door cat cause He is not good around kids and i have 2 and a new baby on the way.. Do you think its a good idea to just put him out side or do what im doing letting him go out for a min and then come back in? Please i need help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I used to let out cats go out- I liked that it saved cleaning out litter boxes, and I thought they enjoyed being out more than in. Then one cat got killed by a fox. One got poisoned. They got worms and ticks, and fleas, always fleas. Now we have only indoor cats, and it is such a relief to have them safe and parasite and bug free. And they are happy. They never bothered our little ones, and the children learned to not bother the cats. In the heat of the summer and the dangerous cold of the winter, the cats are safe and comfortable. If you really want your kitty to not be an inside only cat, then either way, always out, or in and out, won't really matter, although if he is used to going in and out he might be confused when he can't come in anymore.

Answer by Bmat at 3:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My moms cat is indoor out door...He now only goes around the house, he used to venture.
    The only problem with the in/out door with kids and babies is what they can bring in
    so just make sure your cat is up to date on all vaccinations and has flea/worm preventative on like Advantage, flea collars only protect well in the upper portion of the body, so fleas and ticks can go on the belly of the cat or tail easily
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I don't have cats...my dogs would never permit it. But if I did, I would most certainly not let my cat be an outside cat. There are many dangers for outside cats including various predators, being hurt by vehicles, and diseases from other outside cats, such as feline leukemia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing the right thing by letting him out for a little bit at a time, although I would make it more like a half hour at a time and increase the time weekly. He needs to know that he can still come in/home when he wants/needs.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my cat is an outside cat. he stays out there unless he gets tired or hungry lol. then he'll sit by the door and wait for us to let him in and he only uses the litter box when we leave the house and leave him inside.
    but keep the vaccine updated and such because cats can carry fleas that carries diseases and such.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 4:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009