what should i expect when i bring home the new baby with my 1 1/2 year old?

anewmom2008

Asked by anewmom2008 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• interest in the baby at first, but then the child may begin to get a little jelous and show it by hitting or yelling or having a few extra tantrums, but once she know s that the baby is not taking her place she will begin to adapt, but for sibling rivery that lasts awhile, but just gets less. i have a 18mth old, a 21/2yr old, and a 51/2yr old
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Wow... at lot of problems! There will be lots to adapt too. Probably jealousy, regretting back to being a baby, wanting a pacifier, bottle, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Sorry, I meant regressing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• oh weird i just went through this exact thing about three weeks ago! my son is 17 months and we just had a new baby on july 24th. what we did was bring him a cool presant, a little trike and then we introduced him his little brother. only a couple of times so far has he gotten jealous, but most of the time he just really enjoys being mommys helper. if he starts getting jealous, just try to give him a job to do, like for instance, 'uh oh, time to change liam's diaper! can you help mommy? go get mommy a diaper!" (most of the time he grabs his own but by telling him what a good job he is doing helping it makes him feel special and gets him to forget his jealousy.) its been way better than expected. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My oldest was 17 months when we brought home my youngest. We really didn't have any problems. The little one was in the NICU for a week, but we brought in the oldest to start getting to know her right away. Now they are 3 and 22 months. They are thick as thieves and we couldn't ask for anything more. Our next one will be 26 months younger than my little one. We hope they are close as well.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My child was 16 mo when we brought home the new baby. No problems here, just lots of love!
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 6:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my ds was born on july 7th and my first ds was 22 months old. its like he didnt even notice the baby at first. a week later he was fascinated by him. he's jealous because he's not the center of attention, but he doesnt take it out on the baby, he loves on and kisses him. every childs different in how their going to react to a new sibling, so just expect the worse and hope for the best!! lol thats what i did
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• A friend of mine had children apart like that. When they came home they had a big brother shirt for him and had him get involved with the baby, like helping mommy with sissy's diaper. bringing the diaper over and handing her the wipes, or bottle making push the button for sissy. She didn't have any problems, actually her son was very protective of his sissy, but now that sissy is older they actually fight and scream at each other, but I guess it just depends on what type of child they are, are they very child caring with their babies, I know my daughter screams when something happens to her babies, and she is fascinated by other children younger than she is and doesn't mind sharing the attention at all.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2009