New baby names are becoming weird and funny?

Ok so the other day I went to visit my mom and she was with her friend, she ask me what I named my baby, so my mom told her to guess. And she named a lot of common names and she said "well did you named your baby with a weird, funny name like all the new moms now days?" and I stood quiet thinking about it. I never thought of it until she brought it up, maybe its true. We want our babies to have unique names, but to older folks think they are funny and weird. To be honest, she is right. What do you think? What names are weird and funny?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• almost all of them

what did you name yours?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I HATE the name NEVAEH
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I don't mind being different my daughters middle name is ARYSE
    I just hate it when girls have boy names and vice versa
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I say that as long as they don't have the problem my SS is currently having (There are going to be three Alex's in his class this year with him. That's a girl and another boy who have the name Alex) then I guess it's a good thing.

My two boys should never have a problem while out in public with someone else having the same name. Their names are rare and unique. Funny? Maybe, but I guess then it's someone's oppinion on their names.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 3:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think that spelling a common name differently just to make it look different is a bit strange...like naming a boy Jacen instead of Jason or Allysoun instead of Allison. I'm trying to be more open-minded, though :O)
    Mom_of_redhead

Answer by Mom_of_redhead at 3:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes people are putting weird names or changing letters. Such as: Eva for Ava...ok weird...Like Isabella for Izabella
    Whats up with Zowie Bowie???
    Here is a list of weird names in my opinion:
    Savannah, Mia, Apple, Micah, Indiana
    Tripp, Seamus, Blue, Seven, Zephyr, Wolf Broad, Cash, Sky, Star
    Atticus, California, Alabama, Arpad, Aquinnah,
    Fifi-Trixibelle?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• They had weird and funny names in the 60's and 70's too, think of flower-child names. It's nothing new. For some reason I can't stand the name Zephyr. I just saw it a few months ago, dont know why but I dont like it. Sorry if I offend anyone!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:09 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• what's wrong with Seamus? it's a tradional Irish name.
    what I think is funny is when people with no sense of history try to point out "weird" names and only wind up displaying their own ignorance.

oh, and Mia is not a new or weird name, either. and Zowie is Bowie's son's nickname, his name is Duncan.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I had someone try to tell me that Violet is a new-age hippie name. uh, ok, sure.
    autodidact

• Eva and Ava are two different names and pronounced differently. In spanish Eva is pronounced like the english Ava, but in English E-VA, A-VA ......different names.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009