Dad Accused of Child Abuse for Hitting Girl With Pizza

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — A Gainesville father has been arrested for hitting his daughter with a pizza slice.

The 38-year-old man was arrested early Friday on a charge of child abuse without great harm, a third-degree felony. The man's name was being withheld to protect the identity of the victim.

Deputy Nick Vickers says the man used racist and sexist terms when he asked his daughter to turn off her computer, and she fired back with some crude language of her own.

Vickers says the father "intentionally threw a slice of pizza at the victim, striking her in the back of the neck, against her will."

The girl, whose age was not available, called 911 and her father was arrested.

---
Does anyone else just find this seriously absurd?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh seriously, he threw a slice of pizza at his mouthy kid, she needs to get over it! It's not like he could hurt her with it, if it was cool enough for him to pick it up it wouldn't even burn her. Doesn't the state of Florida have something real to deal with?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• So, his smart-ass kid called CPS on her daddy for tossing a pizza slice at her?

That he was arrested and charged is horrific.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes, it's ridiculous!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• LMFAO!!
    this is absurd.
    how is it child abuse..
    the cop should've been like well.. its just pizza get over it.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 3:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• THe only reason I could see calling cps, was if he burnt her. Throwing the pizza was dumb, but no reason to call.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think it is the most ridiculous thing. I mean what harm was done to the child. NONE. She should think twice before mouthing off at her father next time. I can see the police telling the father he should have gone about it another way BUT seriously it did no harm to the child. How is it a crime?? Just another smart mouth child that didnt get their way and then called CPS on their parents
    mamasangels2009

Answer by mamasangels2009 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Wow, I cant believe it! She called the cops because he threw a piece of pizza at her? Give me a break!
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It was dumb for him to throw stuff- he should have made her suck on a rag soaked in vinegar.

If she were my kid- that computer would be gone- and pretty much any luxury item. No phone- no tv- grounded...oh and no pizza.
    Martina70

Answer by Martina70 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I wonder how old the child was. I actually don't think it's that horrible that he's been charged with something. Perhaps the child abuse label is because of her age? But seriously - if an adult threw food at another adult, they'd be charged with assault. Children are people too. And kids mouth off - they just do - parents need to act like adults and not freaking throw food at their kids. Maybe he shouldn't be arrested... but he should be slapped with a fish. :P
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• "he should have made her suck on a rag soaked in vinegar. "

So you'd rather he made his kid sick ? (Yes, vinegar on a rag CAN make a child sick to the point they are vomiting) that to me is worse than the pizza. Is was immature for him to throw it but seriously, I would have probably backhanded the kid.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009