Should I have felt bad for doing this?

Medicaid was acting funny on me and won't accept me for any reason. My SO keeps guilting me into nagging the crap out of medicaid instead of trying to find an affordable health plan. Between us, we get $3000 a month. He tells me that I still qualify because I'm not married to him. I told him that they'll find out eventually that we live together and if they do, we definately won't qualify. But anyway, he guilts me and tells me that I can't afford health insurance because he's too damn cheap to help with insurance. What should I say to him?!

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• 1. if you two arent on a lease together they wont ever know.
    2. tell him if the y were to find out the fine for fraud is RIDCULOUS! so NO you wont do it.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think you should tell your boyfriend to grow up. Obviously you have morals, where are his??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Sweets how about because it's WRONG, instead of being worried about getting caught.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I had medicaid when I was pregnant and gave birth to my son but I wasn't living with him at the time and I had no job. I needed it then so I don't feel bad for ever having it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Why are you with a man who is so unethical?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• If you qualify then fine. If you dont qualify I dont see a point of harrasing the state for help. Theres nothing they can do, thier hands are tied and its your responsibility to figure out what to do about health coverage. And if hes the father I belive its his responsibility to help you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You may want to point out to him that receiving money from the state isn't necessarily a free ride. If you are collecting for you and your child, and he is the father, they WILL expect him to contribute by paying child support... (oh wait, you live together? well if you lie and say you don't, they will go after his check)... and if you ever get off it, they will want some type of reimbursement. Trust me, been there done that but in a more legit setting. I was actually a single mom and received aid temporarily while in school and they went straight after my kids dad when I was done.

Shame on him for being lazy and unethical. If you are still worried about getting caught, then keep worrying because it's not always caught right away with so many fraudulent claims, but when they do catch you, the penalties are not worth the short term free ride you thought you had.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2009