Would you steal?

What do you think of a person who truly needs a piece of clothing and for reasons beyond their control, they cannot afford it. Stealing is wrong, but is there a time for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• For clothing, there are places to get it for free. Salvation Army, perhaps, or a church, so clothing, no.

Food...I can see it perhaps if the children honestly have no food at all, but even then, a church or charitable group would likely be able to help.

I wouldn't like it if people stole from me, and stealing from a store is still stealing.

Answer by Bmat at 4:42 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes, after Hurricane Katrinia people were stealing because it was like after a war there, little rules, no stability. If someone needed something that bad and in todays average society there are enough charities that one would help her.
    But if it was a choice of survival in a with no charities to go to for help hell ya.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Good point, DevilInPigtails. I wasn't thinking in disaster or war situations. Where there are no charitable organizations around.

Answer by Bmat at 4:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• go for it!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Unless the person is running around naked, I can't think of any reason that would justify stealing clothes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• After Katrina, most of the stealing wasn't for survival. It was more of an opportunistic moment.
    Electronics (and other luxuries) do not count as a necessity, especially during a disaster like a hurricane.

As for the original question, no. I don't believe there is ever a time that it is okay to steal. I have been in some pretty bad spots in my lifetime and the thought of stealing to get by has never crossed my mind. There are plenty of people/organizations/churches/etc. that will help you if you truly need it. You just need to let it be known that you are in a desperate situation so others can help.
    pam

Answer by pam at 6:15 AM on Aug. 16, 2009