Potty training - the next level

So I was able to potty train my son pretty quickly....he was 2 and 1/2 at the time. I used the 3 day method. He is now a month away from turning 3 and tells me every time he needs to go potty. How do I get him to the next level...where he will go to the potty independently? Is he still too young for that?

Kimposible

Asked by Kimposible at 5:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No he's not, my son will be 3 next month and he goes on his own. He likes to tell me after he goes #2 because he still likes me to tell him that he did a good job, lol, but he rarely tells me he has to before he goes. I'm not sure how you can get your son to start doing that though, sorry no help there. We did it by just taking the diapers away and asking frequently if he had to go. He was trained over a couple of weeks but I didn't really DO anything to get him to go on his own, he just did it.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My son is 3 1/2 and I waited until now to start potty training him. I wanted him to be really ready to avoid prolonged training. I worked with him for about 3 days and it was done. He not only poops and pees in the potty, but at home he does it all on his own. He goes to the toilet, lifts up the seat, pees and flushes all by himself. If he poops, he goes into the bathroom gets on the toilet and then comes and gets me to tell me hes done and I go wipe him. He will be awhile before he can wipe efficiently but he puts his own undies on and off. At 2 1/2, I would think that in a few months of going constantly, he should be fairly independent. Just give him time. Like I said, I deliberately waited so that we could do it, do it fast and avoid regression. Its still possible but unlikely. Good luck mom and congrats to your son.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Liv turned 3 two months ago and still wants me to go with her even though she is more than capable of doing it herself. (Well, taking care of #1 anyway, not so much #2) When she's doing something really fun and wants to get back to it right away she'll do it by herself. Just like everything else, I would encourage him to go on his own, but not force it. Eventually he'll just do it.
    jackiesmom72

Answer by jackiesmom72 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My son sometimes goes on his own in the house but he still likes me to help him. We started potty training July 5 and full trained now so he is still new to the whole process. If we are out in public I always help him or my husband does.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009