Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can moving out of state before custody is resolved hurt the parent?

My babies father moved out of state with a very short notice. There is no visitation in place, no child support agreed upon, there is nothing. Can him moving out of state hurt him? If he hasn't tried keeping in touch every couple days can that be used against him?
Its bad for there to be relationships with new boyfriends or girlfriends n them not work out....that makes the child wonder if the opposite sex will ever be permanent....but his dad being in and out of his life at such a young age has to be devastating also. he throws fits & doesn't sleep well through the night...
Just looking for some answers.

Answer Question

Asked by DDTSMommy at 5:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Travel

Level 4 (28 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I recommend talking to your lawyer about your concerns. He/She should be able to give you the answers you need.

    Answer by dustbunny at 5:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • It sounds like you're looking for any excuse to deny him access with his son. So he had to move out of state. Big deal. Moms have doing it since the creation of time. I'm sure that if he's dedicated to his son, he'll make arrangements to go see him, and when you're child is older, the child can go visit his daddy. You may not like the arrangement, but it's not about you-it's about the child having a relationship with his daddy. Most likely, since the baby's daddy is the one who made the move, he'll be responsible for his own transportation to/fro visits with the child. People in the military, who are deployed for months (and years) at a time, can and do have great relationships with their children left at home. It will take some creativity, but it can work out. Give the daddy a chance. Don't make it hard for him by "tattling" on him to the courts.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • I am not trying to keep him away. he is very irresponsible- hasn't kept a job for more than a month in the past 2 years...Hasn't paid me any child support. Comes and goes as he pleases. And was suicidal cause he didn't wanna man up to beign a daddy when i was pregnant. when baby was 6 months old he cut his wrists in front of the child and several other bystanders....So sinc eh has fleed off to another state- i dont kno what he is doing- if he can support the child when he goes there....Its a huge mess

    Answer by DDTSMommy at 6:22 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • sounds like you are better off without him. The first thing you need to do is contact a lawyer about child custody. They can help you with all of your q's. Also, don't let your child leave the state you are in until there is an established parenting plan and custody has been awarded to you. It becomes a mess if your kids go to a different state because then they are subjuct to that states custody laws.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.