help!!!!!!!! how in the world are we gonna make this work?

my 17 month old has some how ingeniously figured out how to climb out of his crib even on the lowest setting! we can convert it to a big boy bed, but how in the world are we gonna get him to stay in it for nap times and bed time?! he is obviously a little too young to reason with, so what do we do? thanks ladies

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 5:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• alot of people use crib tents
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XSD9GG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00014PLAY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AEZH4EFGZZDK656BGPH

its suppossed to keep cats out. But many people use to tk keep kids in so they dont get hurt or wander the house at night. Or I put a baby gate up in the doorway of my daughters room so that if she gets out of her toddler bed she cant wander around the home. I jsut make sure her room is baby proof. she never get out of her bed, but JIC i like to have the gate up
    Mesha125

Answer by Mesha125 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My son is 2 and I have the same problem. Some days he doesn't take a nap & some days he does. Sometimes, I hold him until he falls asleep. Other times, I put him in my bed with me until he falls asleep at nap time. When he turns 3, I won't force the naps. I will tell him that is quiet time. He will have quiet time for at least an hour. During quiet time, he can play quietly or he can nap.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Co-sleep! There's a solution. :)
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 6:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• DO NOT encourage co-sleeping at 17 months! Are you frickin' kidding me??

I like the crib tent idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i sleep with my baby,but we got her a toddler bed for naps,taht way when she wakes up she walks right out to the living room where we are,u could try a play pen
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Just because he CAN climb out, does he indeed climb out at nap times or night time? If not, leave him in it. We left ours in until 22 months, it was a gradual adjustment (he doesn't like change, LOL!) So every day I disassembled it a little. First the toys & bedding, then the crib mattress out, then eventually it was all gone. He could see it "disappearing" a little over the 3-4 days it took. He did fine in the big bed after that.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I agree with Mesh, just make sure his room is a safe place and do something to keep him in his room. He will eventually fall asleep, and will most likely choose the most comfy place to do it.

Also, if you stick to your same bedtime routine, and keep the bedding and familiar, he'll figure it out.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You'll be suprised. My daughter climbed out of her bed and then stopped after the first success. She didn't hurt herself, but she just hasn't done it since, and we have even left the gate down for her several times so she doesn't have to fall from so high and at the same time won't roll off while sleeping.. You just have to stay consistent with them otherwise they know hey mommy won't make me nap, if I get up, but Cranky children are no fun ;)... Goodluck mommy!!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2009