Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the PC way of saying....

that someone has special needs? Is it special needs? Is it handicapped? Challenged? I know the "R" is not appropriate but how I am not sure how to teach my daughter, if I don't know myself. I always used handicapped, because my SIL has brain damage and that is what my husband and inlaws always said. Recently someone told me saying hadicapped was offensive.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (4)
  • go with special needs
    I have a special needs son and niece

    Answer by justgrape723 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • I either say special needs, or I say what they have directly. I have Asperger's, but I don't consider myself "special needs." I can function in society just like everyone else. My little brother has CP, and I consider him special needs.

    Answer by caitxrawks at 5:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • is mentally retarded as bad as just saying retarded?

    Answer by staciandababy at 5:49 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • I always go with Special Needs.
    If someone is mentally retarded, then yes, retarded is a bad remark. It is best to say mentally challenged or disabled.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.