Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

how does a person go about getting rights turned over?

my ex's girlfriend just sent me the nastiest message telling me to fill out the necessary paperwork to have my ex's rights terminated. I thought he had to go to the courts and fill them out not me... I'm confused!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (11)
  • confusedYOUR ex's girlfriend? What's that got to do with YOU? I'm confused, too.


    Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • My ex's girl friend tried the same thing after the paternity test came back and she found out he was lying.

    Tell her to eat sh!t, if he does not want rights then he needs to file not some jealous b!tch. he can sign off his rights but don't allow him to sign off his responsibilities!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • If someone signs away the rights they are not required to pay child support. That's why she wants you to do that. So he doesnt have to be responsiable. Don't fall for it!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • my fiance is going to adopt ds whenever my ex does sign over his rights so honestly we are ok with him doing it. but the child support is why we aren't going to go sign them over ourselves. I just had a baby and am in need of a job before we loose those.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • I would stay out of it. This is his child and his responsibility. It doesn't show much maturity on the mother's part to involve you. If he wants to sign to terminate his parental rights that is a decision he has to make. I personally would be very cautious about being involved with a man who just dismisses his responsibility of parenting and supporting a child. If a man is willing to just terminate his rights and not think much of it with one child then what is to keep him interested in any other future children that come along? If I were to date a man who has children I would be looking for a man who is a willing participate in his child's life, who does not speak negatively about his child's mother (no matter how bad she really is), and who puts his child's needs above his own. That way I know that if I were to have a child with him he will be a great dad. Just not wanting to have to deal with my ex is a poor reason.


    Answer by frogdawg at 9:07 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • I think you are mistaken. I AM the mother. my ex's girlfriend sent me a letter telling me to start termination papers or let my ex see ds (which I have never prevented. in fact I encourage him to come around) if he wants his rights terminated that's fine with me. I have a fiance who would like to adopt ds when we are married.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Ahhhh! This is between you and your ex not his new girlfriend so if he's not willing to talk to you I wouldn't take her threats seriously. And most often in divorce it's not an action where one parent seeks to "terminate" the rights of the other - the burdon of proof for a court to take that action based on your filing would be quite high. If your ex doesn't want to pay his child support he can on his own voluntarily relinquish his parental rights. Of course in this case the courts will want to hear from you that it is okay with you that his obligation for support will end when he does so.

    Either way though, it is a sad day when a child's parent would be willing to let that bond go over child support. A relationship with your child should be more precious than any amount if money

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

  • I have to admit that I am a little confused about the situation. But from what I gather- you are the mom and you are not together with the dad of the baby. You are engaged and he now has a girlfriend. The baby's dad doesn't want to pay child support so he and the girlfriend are pressuring you into letting him get out of paying child support. Why would you do that? Even if your fiance wants to take over and be there for your child, why not keep accepting the child support and put it toward a college fund or something? That would be an awesome thing to have a large savings account for when your child is ready to go off to college. Think about it. It took 2 to make this baby and your baby will be very lucky to have your fiance to be a strong, loving male role model in their life. Don't let the baby's dad out of HIS responsibility.

    Answer by hollyanne31 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

  • My personal opinion is that if he wants nothing to do with the child, then let him leave. I don't think you should expect money from him and I don't think you should keep him around for child support. He's the one who has to fill out the papers if he wants ti give up his rights. If she's harassing you, keep the texts or messages and bring them to the police. Sounds like you don't need either of them in your life or around your baby.

    Answer by flitpixie at 2:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • i thought you had to go thur the courts

    Answer by mekarevell at 5:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.