Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how does a person go about getting rights turned over?

my ex's girlfriend just sent me the nastiest message telling me to fill out the necessary paperwork to have my ex's rights terminated. I thought he had to go to the courts and fill them out not me... I'm confused!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • First of all his girlfriend shouldn't be involved in this. Secondly, I think either of you can petition the courts to have his rights terminated, but it will probably be quicker and easier if he does it. Good luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 6:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • Why does he want to terminate, to avoid paying child support? Maybe a free consultation with a family attorney is in order. Does he see the children, and are the children yours?

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • ds is mine and he rarely sees the children. I think the last time was in february. he moved a few states away. I have told him that any time he wants he can come see ds, all he has to do is let me know. he just doesn't want to be a dad. I agree his girlfriend has no reason to be a part of this. I want to tell him if he really wants to sign over his rights to go to his local courthouse and do it. my fiance wants to adopt ds and ds thinks od my fiance as dad anyways.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • if you start a step parent adoption - the courts will send your ex paper work and he either agrees to the adoption or fights for his rights... my ex husband adopted my dd when she was three and that is what we did - he sighned the papers saying he doesnt have any rights and it was done. seek an attorney -- good luck

    Answer by Tonksbean at 8:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • he has to go and do that other wise it will cost you over 1700 to do so and also i would tell her to stay the hell out of it if he wants something done he is a big boy he can do it him self

    Answer by greeniemommy at 4:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.